Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

tension of a cam belt VVC engine

jackb_ms

K-series with manual tensioners came with a spring from the factory that sets the tension, although this doesn't feel very tight when you prod a newly fitted and correctly tensioned belt! The springs were removed from VVC engines after production, but they remained hidden under the covers of "normal" early engines.

Too tight and they'll whine, especially when the engine is hot. Too loose and that flap about in the covers. From memory, I can just about get 90 degrees of total "twist" on my belt on the longest run.

If you get stuck trying to find a tensioning spring, I removed mine and kept it in a safe place. I can lend it to you if you like.

No worries, Jack. Message me your address and I'll try and get it in the post soon, depending on when I can find it from my "safe place"! Is there a problem with your existing belt or you just want to check it for peace of mind? You should have a peg between the cam pulleys that the spring hooks onto, as my spare VVC 160 engine has this.

For reference, here's what the spring in place looks like. Ignore the hole in my cam belt by the tensioner. *rolleyes*

http://images112.fotki.com/v502/photos/8/42688/7812053/DSCF1235-vi.jpg

Great Picture Thanks

Just piece of mind really, I've replaced the water pump and it's the first time I work in area of the engine.

The main difference between your picture and mine installation is the screw holding the back plate is half way round the curved oblong shape.

Cheers

Jack

I assume that you are fitting a new cam belt as well as the water pump? If so, then the position of the slot in relation to the belt will vary because of slight differences in cam belt length, whether the head has been skimmed or not, sprocket wear etc. As long as the tensioner isn't on its extremes of adjustment. It just pivots around the 8mm hex bolt in the offset centre of the roller.

The cam belt was fitted when the engine was built by DVA a few month ago, so no I'm reusing the cam belt.

When you say

I can just about get 90 degrees of total "twist" on my belt on the longest run
What do you mean exactly?

Cheers

Jack

I'm not very good at explaining with words! This is the best picture I could find quickly of the "90 degrees of twist on the longest run" thing:

http://media.corrado-club.ca/images/vr6_corrado-2/G60-TimingBeltTension.gif

I've found the spring now, so let me know if you need it and I'll bung it in the post next week.