Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T: Ibanez semi-acoustic bass

James_Russell

James

I am a useless bass player but I seem to be in possession of two Fender basses. A 1973 Precision and a Precision Lyte. The '73 Precision has been heavily gigged, looks the part (if you like the slightly beaten up look) and sounds amazing. The Lyte is light and sounds very good too. It is fitted with Seymour Duncan pickups (I also have the original active pickups).

Any good for Funk? I'm thinking of selling them as well as my Trace Elliot amp. The Lyte has a Jazz type neck and lower action and would be faster to play. Being light means it is not like a mill stone around your neck if you have to play for several hours. I think it was actually made in Japan for Fender by Ibanez.

Let me know if you are interested.

Edited by - AMMO on 1 Jun 2011 09:56:59

Quite surprised by the responses- thought this thread would sink like a stone 😳

Funk played with tremolo would sound... different! Must be said, my right hand is busy enough as it is *redface*

AMMO- I, too, am useless- but this is exaggerated by the fact I'm pretty much using the wrong bass entirely for the direction I'm going in (any excuse to appease the GAS)

Don't tempt me with the 'P' basses when I thought i'd finally decided upon a 'J'! They sound like great guitars but I'll be going for a Jazz I think- my budget limits me to a Mexican made axe, too, so I suspect yours are worth significantly more than I could manage!

Anyway, I've had an offer on the Ibanez already- this will be the first time I've ever sold a guitar *cry* On the plus side, I'll have a good Mex Jazz by my birthday in a few weeks at this rate *thumbup*

I have a Jazz on Flatwounds for Paul Jackson Tone (if not his skill). see here for why I'm smitten with 70's Funk

Ammo's Lyte would make a great slapper 😳 Being able to blend neck and bridge pickups helps with range, Active adds headroom

If after any bass try basschat. There's few blatchatters over there too *wavey* Great reliable place to buy *smile* and sell ☹️

Marcus Miller *thumbup*

Graham (sorry for the slight highjack James)

The '73 Precision is a natural coloured one in ash with a maple neck. It was valued at the Bass Cellar in Denmark Street last year. Even though it wouldn't win any beauty competitions they said they would put it in their window with a £1,600.00 price tag. Privately at the time they said I should sell it for £1,200.00 but they added that they were going up in value at the rate of £200.00 per year. A friend who plays a Jazz in a (very good) Prince tribute band played my Precision and said it was the only one he ever played that he would swop for his Jazz bass. As I said it sounds amazing. It would make a good basis for a restoration project or just play it as it is. I think it looks the part. Unfortunately my abilities do it no justice at all.

I'd take £1,200.00 although my son says I should keep it. I could also do a deal to to include the Trace Elliot 150W amp that keeps looking at me from across my living room.

James

The Precision Lyte neck feels like a Jazz and was the easiest bass to play in the whole shop when I wanted to treat myself to a new toy. I didn't like the active pickups so went for passive Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. Also because I didn't want the worry of the 9 volt battery going flat on me at the wrong time. I still have the original pickups that could be re-fitted. The bass is gloss black. Another guy I know from Jam Nights plays one and does all sorts of amazing stuff with it. Looking for £350.00 for that one. Can send some photos if you are interested.

Edited to say that I would throw in a gig bag and Fender neoprene strap with strap locks. The neoprene strap makes the bass feel even lighter and a pleasure to play for extended periods.

Edited by - AMMO on 2 Jun 2011 09:52:09

AMMO- I've done some research and the Lyte does look pretty nice... I would love to see some Pics if thats not too much trouble.

How does it compare to the Jazz in terms of action and playing style? How is it currently strung/set up?

I'll PM you an e-mail address...