Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Performance Upgrade

heavenly7

Thought it was time for a perfromance upgrade for my 1.6 roadsport. I am intending to add Dave's performance pack to increase the performance to around 170 bhp, and a new box from BGH. Whilst the engine is out to change the box should I do anything else. The car will be used on the raod and maybe the occasional track day. I see Caterham do a lightweight flywheel for example.

I guess the total package is going to run out at a little more than £4K. I would appreciate views as to how close this package will come to a Superlight, and whilst I am not intending to sell the car, whether it would remain an attractive purchase to forum members.

The AP clutch has a slightly *lighter* action than a boggo Rover. Both have been fitted to the cars - of the two, the Rover one seems to be happier to work hard. The Rover one doesn't fit in dry sumped applications. You can probably just transfer your existing clutch over to the new flywheel.

A light flywheel will certainly make it much more fun.

IME the boggo non-Rover clutch (as fitted to all 5-speeders and *some* 6-speeders) is lighter than the AP item, although it's not worth worrying about. I'm assuming that Heavenly has a non-Rover clutch since he's upgrading the 'box, and therefore has a 5-speed box with a Ford input shaft.

Mike

Thanks for your thoughts fo far.

I guess I am assuming also I have the non-Rover clutch but I am not sure I know for certain. Yes the car came fitted with a five speed box and was built by Caterham in 2000. I think I will just replace the flywheel and assume this will be compatable.

Interested in peoples views as to whether the proposed upgrade makes sense.