Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gurston Down - what a great event

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

What a fantastic event Gurston was. Great hill, fantastic organisation, usual friendly banter and close competition. I can't remember a closer finish in class 3 where the top 4 runners were separated by a mere 0.06 secs - very well done to Mark Gibson for his last run to take the class win. The rest of us were left to imagine the impossibly short distances represented by the fraction of a second advantage he managed to find!

I think I am speaking for quite a few in the paddock who are hoping that this will become a permanent fixture on our calendar *thumbup*

Michael.

Edited by - Mcalvert on 30 May 2011 10:01:51

I Can't agree more with Michael, it was a fantastic weekend!

I couldn't fault anything about the event, looking forward to being there next year!

Selection of cars makes it a great spectator event as well!

Steve *thumbup*

Edited by - Dutchy on 30 May 2011 10:22:42

What a great event!! *thumbup* *thumbup* *smile*

Possibly the most enjoyable competition I've been to so far. As well as the normal L7C company and banter.... Beautiful location....great Cafe, with nice food and seating inside and a bar!!....hot showers....good pubs nearby...good timing/speed info...fantastic, efficient but not 'pushy' organisation...and the hillclimb course is amazing.

Well done to all drivers...even to Lynn who mugged me (again) in class 4) on the last run of the day (agggghhh!! 😬 *smile*)

HD in-car video of my fastest run with timings/speeds shown Can been see here

We HAVE to go back there next year *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

I must say it was a great weekend all round *thumbup* I was a little wary of th elast expreince of a national hillclimb event (Harewood in 2004) that it could be not the best but was completly the opposite *smile*

great company *thumbup*

great course *thumbup*

excellent organisation *thumbup*

(pity or maybe just as well that the bar shut at 7 *eek*)

rob

I would like to echo Michael's and others comments. The course was fantastic and it was really exciting to be a part of such a professionally run, yet really friendly, event.

The competition in class 3 was very tense as usual but I could never have expected that there would have been one hundredth of a second between 1st and 2nd and another one hundredth of a second between 2nd and 3rd - surely that has never happened before 😳

I am a bit disappointed with my video

as it doesn't reflect how scary it felt inside the car!

Surely there is room for a couple of visits to Gurston per year for our championship for future years *tongue* although as Alan won as well yesterday he will probably have put the kiss of death on the venue like he did for MIRA 😬

Well done to all the other class winners and a massive thanks to all those that made it such a fun and enjoyable weekend. I would also like to thank John for his efforts with the ESV which always makes the events more enjoyable *wavey*

They do run a well organised event there for sure.

Great to be part of a national weekend too, makes the hanging around between runs much more entertaining *thumbup*

Well done getting it into the championship *smile*

• Area Representative

...one hundredth of a second between 1st and 2nd and another one hundredth of a second between 2nd and 3rd - surely that has never happened before

Mark,

Twice I've had the same time as the class winner, but ended up second ☹️ ☹️.

However, a win by 0.01sec is still a win *thumbup* *thumbup*

Hi Guys

Just received a message from Gurston which I thought I'd pass on to you.

Hi Simon,

Please find attached the results from yesterday.

It has been a real pleasure to have your club championship as part of our National Meeting. The atmosphere around your paddock area was fantastic. All your drivers are friendly and well behaved on the track. I hope all of them have enjoyed their first taste of Gurston.

I would like to thank all of your competitors, for helping amongst all drivers yesterday, to make possibly (quite frankly) our best ever meeting.

Best regards

Paul

Quite clearly we can not possibly go back to such a popular event as it will be so over subscribed that there will be no room for the National Chaps 😬

Hope my Busa will be ready for next year!

It was excellent to watch everyone *thumbup*. Not so good to have missed out on competing *thumbdown*

Gurston Down is a fantastic place. Made all the better by the club's attendance.

Let's not forget how amazingly quick Mr Moran was 😳

Great to meet up with many friends I had not seen in a while. Really enjoyed the day, as the man said, probably the best meeting I have been to watch there.

All I wanted to do was get out there and have a go myself.

Will have to give it some serious thought for next year.

Well done to everyone competing, special mention to Mark in class 3 *thumbup*

Robin

It's all been said already, but just to add my thumbs-up for a brilliant weekend *thumbup*. I'm still trying to come to terms with the challenges presented by the many excellent competitors in Class 3 😶‍🌫️, but it's great fun learning! Special congratulations to Mark and Suzanne who had a spectacularly good weekend. Can't wait to get back to Gurston for another go!

Andrew

Just to add my congratulations to all concerned in organising such a great event. Alistair and I had a wonderful time spectating *cool* A special thank you to Matt and Mel W for their help in entertaining Alistair whilst we put up the tent and for letting him clamber all over their 7 😬

Big congratulations to Mark and Suzanne for a stonking weekend's racing *wavey*

See you at Epynt

Tam

I'm obviously biased, but really enjoyed Gurston. I assume Ray will be along to confirm its "not a true test of driving talent" though, and will be replaced by

"Curborough 3" for next year *tongue*.

Thanks to Mr Sankey for letting out my secret. I don't remember the school

instructors teaching us his wide line out of Karousel. Driver of the day indeed...

AB

I would like to echo all the comments so far....it was fantastically organised, with really friendly and helpful marshalls.

Wasnt my best times, but as I was following Mr Moran I thought it best to slow down by about 20 secs.....well....I didnt want to show him up did I ?!?!? *wink*

Jess

I have to say that was the most enjoyable weekend of competition ever. I won't bother repeating what everybody else has already said but it was wonderful in so many ways. Thank you to everybody for making it happen.

As we seem to have a new found reputation among the sport's elite is there any chance that we can use it to get into a Prescott event now?

Matthew

PS I hate you Mark Gibson! *tongue*