Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Socket and spanner sizes

BruceW

Hi Bruce,

I built my car with a pretty simple tool kit - £50 socket set and £45 tool box kit both from Argos... The sockets are still going strong too *smile*

Special tools required are basically a Torque wrench.. you will need one that goes pretty high in order to do the rear hub nuts (200ft/lb ?) and these tend to not go low enough for the few 15ft/lb so I bought two - well worth investing! The socket on the rear hub is also pretty big (41 or 42mm can't remember) so that is a special buy also.

Can't think of any other special tools I needed... I would get that ot and then wait till you find you need something. Having said that, tools are always useful to have, but depends on funds.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

I think that "Best Socket Set" has been done before but for reasonable money the halfords professional kit came out well, most starter socket sets have most of what you need, and you can usually buy as you go on for the bits you dont have, like the 41mm socket for the rear hubs, there must be hundreds of these sockets around that have been used only twice.

Nick

Suggest you get a rubber/plastic mallet. I find it invaluable for bashing bolts without creating damage. You will also need a pop rivet gun,

Not tools, but suggest you get a tube of Copper Slip (anti seize compound), masking tape, Rubber lube and Loctite (thread locking fluid).

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

probably best to go to halfords and buy the big toolkits as it works out about half price.

the folllowing are useful things:

a full set of ratchet spanners

full set of sockets and spanners imperial and metric (22mm is the biggest stuff)

screwdrivers, pliers etc

silicone sealant

copaslip

grease

threadlock

rivet gun

rivnuet gun is handy sometimes as well

soft mallet

little blocks of wood

lots of newspaper or dust sheets to protect the paintwork whilst building

HOOPY R706KGU what's a 'hood' 🤔 😬

latex gloves - get a box as they slip, but they are great for protecting your hands.

I am supprised noone has included the MK 1 hammer. *wink*

A few long screwdriver is handy for use as a fulcrum.

I've got a halfords pro set and they are pretty good for a cheap but reasonable quality set.

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)