Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RatRace may just have saved my life (or at least my Cat)

Midlifecrisis2001

After much advise from various members I opted for RatRace to get my 7 serviced. The following day they called me to tell me the engine mounts had collapsed and the alternator had been pressing against the brake pipe hammering it almost flat. I didn't realise this was the cause of my very dead feeling brake. What is alarming is that the problem had clearly been ongoing for a great deal of time during which it had been to a very reputable seven expert for regular servicing and they had missed it completely. I can only imagine the consequences if they'd failed as I approached Riches at 110mph!

Car feels great now though. Brakes are smooth and progressive and the driveline shunt & clutch judder has all but gone.

Many thanks to Rob & Chris for their attention to detail and a not unreasonable bill.

Cheers

Clive

I can't beleive you could not feel that the engine mounts had gone, surely you would hear clunks and bumps under accelleration, braking and cornering. Glad it is fixed though. Should make it part of your pre-blat inspection to check the mounts in future.

Jon

I can't beleive you could not feel that the engine mounts had gone, surely you would hear clunks and bumps under accelleration, braking and cornering.

My (feeble) excuse is it's my first Seven, but then the dealer who sold it didnt notice it nor was it noticed on the previous service. It would seem that the engine had wedged itself into a new position - so was relatively stable...

• Area Representative
I think it always pays to get know your 7 rather than just relying on servicing by another party. It is worth regularly looking under the bonnet and just having a nose around in between services. Not excusing the obvious lack of proper care in this instance, how long was it between services and how many miles?

Blimey 😳, I think you got away lightly.

I had a close shave 2 years ago with the timing belt on my Zetec (which is exposed). I was having a rootle around under the bonnet, checking fluid levels, hoses etc and noticed a couple of holes neatly punched into centre of the timing belt. Had it snapped the consequences don't really bear thinking about...

• Area Representative

500 miles p.a. You need to get out more *nono*

Not trying to excuse your previous Servicing garage but a year between services a lot can go wrong, although 500 miles is not a lot.

This appears a bit of a common issue. I'm having a lot of work done on my old xflow at the moment and it was spotted that the engine mounts where well past their best. I have had the car 6 years and in that time it's been serviced every year and had the engine out once. All done by reputable people.

I guess the mounts are checked for tightness and if loose tightened so the engine is held firm but the mounts get slowly crushed when they get old and perished. At least I'll have some more clearance under the car when I get it back!

I've had a similar experience with engine mounts. Took the engine out and found out that the brackets on both sides were approaching total failure. The only visible sign prior to this was that the engine was low in the engine bay. When I took the brackets off, both were badly cracked at the welds, one of them almost all the way round. I guess the engine was wedged in place and held steady by the gearbox mount.

This was on a 1987 crossflow, don't know if modern cars have the same brackets.

Anthony

The offside engine mount bolts failed on my vauxhall seven... I didn't notice straight away and drove the car to college the next day! However in the free-flowing traffic of that evening, on the way home, I went for 5th gear for the first time of the day and it just wouldn't go in. I tried to remove the bonnet when I got home but it was clamped on by the carburetors

I've just replaced my engine mounts as a precaution as I think they are original (22 years and 110,000 miles). The NS rubber gets toasted by the heat from the exhaust and fell apart in my hands. I'll upload photos if anyone is interested.

PS apparently also a very common failure on old (>30 years) V8 Mercedes. Diagnosis is by sticking it in drive, stand on the brake and give it some throttle. If the engine leaps up (best done with bonnet open and a mate watching), the rubber has failed.