Click here if you are having website access problems ×

My Seven's just been on fire

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Still doing the engine rebuild and I'm storing a few bits under the car .........

accidentally I kick something so kneel down so sort it and catch the FIA key switch ...........

which is balanced on the chassis rail because the scuttle's not fitted ...........

which then unknown to me shorts to the chassis without the usually spectacular array of sparks .......

Next I know (still kneeling down with head under car) is my son walking in with TomB telling me the car is on fire *eek* Oh yes I thnk, pull the other one *cool* No really it's on fire *eek* .......... the clutch cable is alight where it connects to the clutch arm 😳 😳 😳 ..... blow out the flames and it's burnt through leaving a half inch gap *mad* Bl%%dy H£ll 😳

So what to check?

I've reset the Optimate conditioner and it appears okay.

ECU not connected due to +ve feed being disconnected (I'm renewing the connection).

Ignition key not in, but cut-out key was.

Alternator?

Immobilser?

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Thanks Dave, and I thought a thread drift was a type of stud extractor *cool*

I can only assume that having put the full current from the battery through the chassis, the clutch cable became the "fuse" in the circuit! It's actually quite interesting to see a cable of that thickness glow, catch fire and then there's a gap where there was originally steel cable *eek* I'd love to know the rating of the "fuse" I just blew!

If the bits aren't in the way I'll leave them for now otherwise I'll collect them when passing. The rest of the "other" engine can wait till later in the year!

Stu.

• Leadership Team

The battery was connected and the battery master switch key was switched to "on", no ignition on though. Without the scuttle fitted, the battery master switch was resting on the chassis top rail, on it's plastic body. I knock it and the live terminals made contact with one of the captive bolts in the top rail that would normally secure the scuttle, hence the short circuit.

I really ought to make up a small bracket to hold the battery master switch when the scuttle is removed!

Stu.

• Area Representative

I really ought to make up a small bracket to hold the battery master switch when the scuttle is removed!

Or simply disconnect the battery!!!

Stu

I've learnt over many years to disconnect the battery before starting most jobs. It's easy on the 7 - you don't have to re-set radios, clocks etc.

I think if you're mucking about with wiring flapping about, disconnecting the battery should be the first thing you do. I disconnect it every time I do anything anyway, just in case 😶‍🌫️

Hope it's just the clutch cable that's burned, at least it's not an expensive mistake *cool*

• Leadership Team

I'm passed that stage Paul - the battery had been removed completely for months but now it's back in place because I'm setting up the ECU, testing all the wiring that's been renewed etc. *redface* It's all safe excepting the battery master switch which unfortunately is unsupported without the scuttle! A suitable temporary bracket would be a little like a cam-locking tool .... you don't "need" one but your asking for trouble without it!

Stu.

The only time I take the scuttle off is to do something electrical behind the dash, which ultimately means I need electrickery. However, I tend to disconnect the battery first, take the scuttle off and then wrap the BMS in rollbar padding before connecting the battery again. Still have burn marks on the sideskin where it folds over under the scuttle, been there, done that, but with less dramatic results. Phew!

Stu, I like your idea of making a bracket to 're-mount' the BMS though *idea* *thumbup*

Mr Foreshaw SIR what you need to do and still need to do is disconnect the + main battery cable and place between it and the battery a small piece of cable with an inline fuse That allows you to do ALL the testing you want in complete safety

Consider yourself reprimanded and go stand in corner 😬 😬 😬

• Leadership Team

{stood in corner hanging head in shame mode on}

Sounds like a good idea *idea* And not just for my car!

Any thoughts on a suitable fuse holder and rating (or trip switch?) because it'll need to be enough to allow for everything that comes from the battery. I guess there's something designed for motorsport purpose made for the job?

Stu.

{stood in corner hanging head in shame mode off}

• Leadership Team

You guys need to get to Vision Express ....... it's impossible to test electrical circuits without the battery connected *nono* Maybe that's the problem your having with your car Tom?

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 25 May 2011 16:45:48

What about one of these, would allow you to quickly route through fuse when working on electrics then quickly revert to high current when needed, can be easily removed when not working on car

Discarnect

I know it gets 2 crappy reviews but the one I have permanently fitted to Audi went on without problems and works fine to isolate battery, I use without fuse to stop battery draining when on Holiday

Tim

Edited by - tbird on 26 May 2011 00:09:17

A bit strange this one, where is the main battery - line connected? On mine it goes directly to the engine block with a second small connection to the ECU. Normally a second large ground cable is connected to the chassis from the engine block. This being the case current will want to flow down the path of least resistance which is normally the chassis, touching the main +12V to anywhere were there is good connection will tend to spark as contact is made. In your case it appears to have avoided shorting to the chassis, but found a path to the bell housing via the clutch cable. It would have probably found ground where the clutch lever arm contacts the bell housing the highest resistance being probably the thinnest point on the clutch cable. There is probably good contact between the cable itself and its outer carrier so it would have been a good conductor.

It could be that the engine block to chassis connection is not good. All the above assumes that your isolation switch only isolates the + side. As the cable burnt and separated, there is a good chance that there is no secondary damage (no other path found as the cable resistance went up).

All very strange *confused*

Good luck

Tom