Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 rollover bar

NigP

I have an R500 rollover bar which I would like to have chromed before fitting to my Green/Alu 7. Currently the car is fitted with the smaller black item (standard on classics) which looks OK but I think the thicker chromed bar will enhance the overall appearance.

Does anyone have experience of getting items such as this chromed? Do I have to have coating with nickel prior to chrome for corrosion protection? How much roughly did/would it cost and if anyone has done this are they pleased with the result?

The rollover bar is currently in bare mild steel and has not been treated or painted. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Electroless nickel plating is the preferred finish for this type of part (if you want a shiny finish) AFAIAA it does not suffer the hydrogen embrittlement problems of electricaly deposited finishes.

It was the finish used on Lotus 49 suspension for example.

I recently painted my FIA bar to match the car. I found that a certain Pug green (Conifer Green) matched my BRG almost perfectly and I think it looks smart. Is that not an option?

Light, thin coats and plenty of them is the key I think... and then two coats of lacquer (sp), wait a week and polish up...

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Sorry, not yet.. still too recent a job and haven't got a new-fangled digi-camera I'm afraid... plus my car is GRB all over with a yellow strip.

Just meant don't rule out painting. I'd have thought you could paint yours silver with good results..

Have a look at page 13 and Ted7's car here for how your car might look with a chrome/silver roll bar http://www.7gallery.junglelink.co.uk/

p.s. I'm in Bracknell, if that is close for you to have a look.

Phil Waters

Edited by - philwaters on 25 Sep 2002 15:21:14

Is your car a Live Axle Classic (you mention the smaller bars are 'standard on classics')?

I think there maybe a difference between the De Dion & Live Axle chassis bars - certainly is with the FIA bars. Before the expense of powdercoating/plating check that it will fit!

Apologies if I'm talking rubbish - I'm sure someone on here knows for certain.

Jonathan

Edited by - JonathanG on 25 Sep 2002 15:36:30

De-dion and live-axle rollover bars are different, as is the way that you have to fit them. With the de-dion you need to remove the dampers which you don't for the live-axle.

Of course, if you ae talking about the current 'classic' which is a de-dion, then the difference no longer exists.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Personally I would look for some spray cans - I used 4 300ml cans to do my FIA bar and 2 300ml cans of clear on top of that.

It isn't very cheap - but try to get 500ml cans - I should have. You can have a go at what it looks like on your old bar - I tried on my old one to make sure I could do it.

The very worst that will happen is that you waste £20 or £30 on paint and then get it chromed. I think something like an Audi Silver would look cool and probably match the Ali better than Chrome.

I'm very pleased with mine *smile*

Phil Waters

Oh, and if you do paint - put lots of news paper down... I did mine in the garage - with car on drive - and spent 30 mins washing the garage floors out afterwards as it was covered in a fine green dusty layer. Thankfully the painted floor meant it swept out eventually

Phil Waters