Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel Balance Weight Positions

Krismuss

Where should they go preferably?

I had some of the 'sticky strip' sort on the inside of my 7j13 minators on my blackbird only to find they fouled the dedion ears (I think that was the part) so opted for a rebalance with clip-on weights on the outside.

New Caterham has same wheels asthe last one i.e. 6j13 & 7j13 KN Minators, so when getting them balanced what's the prefered type/location for balance weights (subject to where they're required for balancing of course! 😳)?

Chris

• Support Team
Just ask the tyre fitter to put the weights at least 1 inch in from the inner rim - that way they don't foul the de-dion. If you look at the wheel on the car it is obvious how far in from the edge they need to be.

Just had to have a pair rebalanced twice within the week - the first balancing was done with loose wheels - and I didn't think to check as I'd never had a problem before. I managed to strip the weights off the wheels pushing the car out of the garage - but evidently that wasn't the end of the problem...

One of the wheels has a couple of deep gouges in it now - looks like the spacer plate between the DD ear and tube was damaged (it's chewed up now) and this (or a trapped weight) had a go at the wheel when I drove it to the MOT. ☹️

Mine are minotaurs and they are weighted on the inner rim about and inch in too with no problems. The biggest problem was getting the sticky off the places where the original ones were stuck on the outer rim. Tip..... dab with petrol and rub with finger nail and kitchen towel.

Fil M *wavey*