Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulk buy - replacement aluminium door hinges

Doug

I'm thinking of having made up several sets of aluminium door hinges with brass pins. One pair per door will have a slightly longer pin to make fitting a little easier!

The cost for a single set of 4 (enough for one car) works out at £50.00 but the more I have made, the cheaper they'll be so, please let me know by 30th June if you're interested.

To be honest I'd imagine they'd be much the same or a tiny bit heavier but much sturdier! They're so small that any weight gain won't be that much. Until I have a set made it's hard to tell.

Hi Andy. Given the pin will be brass I think I'm right in saying that it won't require significan lubrication ( *redface*). From an engineering point of view, it's a better combo than having a steel pin because it's softer. I suppose over time they will wear but hopefully much better than the old plastic ones. The odd squirt of oil once in a while should make them last for years.

Edited by - Doug on 24 May 2011 13:55:33

Doug

Not sure how they will come but if they come with the pins pressed in can I request that mine come in kit form so I can get the aluminium parts either anodised or powder coated black?

Sorry to be a pain in the 🙆🏻

Jason

Hi Jason. You're not a pain in the 🙆🏻, it's a perfectly valid question.

I can ask the fabricator and let you know. For the moment I'll take it that you're a "yes' and get back to you in due course.

Maybe if I go ahead with this, I can ask the fabricator to supply all as a kit with the pins as a self assembly item. In this way if you want to anodise/paint the aluminium you can?

Edited by - Doug on 25 May 2011 08:40:27

Hi Andy. The fabricator I have in mind can't do the anodising himself so I'd have to get it done elsewhere, which will push the cost up. I will mention it to him once I know the level of interest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I'd let you all know that the guy who was going to make the hinges for me has been in touch to tell me that he won't be able to do it after all. If I find someone else I'll be in touch.

Sorry to let you all down ☹️