Click here if you are having website access problems ×

One step closer to class 4

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Well the R400 VHPD engine was fitted on Sunday. Next stop the rolling road.

Still trying to work out how to disguise the Ohlins as Bilsteins and how to hide the remote reservoirs. *tongue*

Another step closer - rolling road session booked *biggrin*

And tonight I am to learn a new skill to go alongside 'how to take an engine out of a Caterham' - 'how to make something look like something it isn't', oopps sorry 'how to remove adjustable dampers and fit non-adjustable dampers' *wink*

• Support Team

The lesson was particularly in-depth as it took 1 1/2 hours to change the front right damper. Removal of the adjustable item was swift and painless but I believe the car tried to reject the inferior Bilstein damper as it took lots of swearing to get it to fit.

For some reason the dampers are just a fraction too long to fit with the suspension at full droop (ARB removed to help), requiring the use of a jack and a pry bar to compress it enough to get the bolt through *mad*. We would have changed the other side as well last night but Caterham sent me the wrong damper mount spacers *mad*.

I wish my car would stop fighting me ☹️.

Given that the the idea of banning two way adjustable dampers was to reduce costs; in the circumstances that Sean finds himself in would it be reasonable to waive this requirement, or render the dampers unadjustable by some means, such as covering or taping up the adjusters?

I could say I told you it was a poor idea. I also have a set of dampers sitting on the self and not able to use them.

It's fine to by a new set of Tyres for every event at £500 a time. I was against the idea, still against it but know it will not change. Looking at other championships you can use any damper.

If it was not for Jeff it would have cost £400 + to have changed my Ohlins to one ways. A cost I would not have liked to pay when you have a bill for am engine repair also.

David

you could of course not spend any money on the dampers and stay in class 5 😬 you showed at curbugger that you are quick even in a less powerful car *thumbup*

It is very unfortunate that both of you have had engine problems and hence had to go to different classes as a result, however I don' think that that is the norm or to be expected. How many times in the past have we had competitors in the same situation (I can only think of Mark 🤔)

Our championship has always had a tennant of not being about how much you spend to be competitive, so I support anything we can do to keep costs down. I think it was right in the circumstances to take the decision we did with regard the 2(+) way dampers. However like I say it is unfortunate for you both to be in the situation you are in. ☹️

Also I think it has been great how people have rallied around and loaned engines, dampers and time for both of you *thumbup* even if it meant they would have some added competition in there own classes *smile*

I don't know what could be done in the future to help people out in the same situation, and maybe a discussion at the tech forum for next year needs to be had.

Just my 2ps worth

Rob

following last nights pre event technical committee meeting I have been given verbal notice that I am out of touch with the membership and one ways are the only way to go.

I did offer to pay TV rights and asked the committee to except a large donation to their funds but this was rejected. I also had a chat with the scorer but this failed to help me. I just wanted a good points result at Gurston.

David

3 billies now fitted. Just waiting for the parts to arrive from Caterham to do no. 4 then we just need to deal with the tyres. Rolling road on Friday so fingers crossed!

Edited by - Gill E on 30 May 2011 19:59:59