Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust rattle?

ALEVS7

My exhaust is getting a slight rattle from inside I think? as nothing loose on outside!

Could packing have broken down inside? Exhaust is a single exit with built in cat on 1998 1600 Supersport. Could someone like Prospeed cut open repack and re-weld? what would this cost? try and pickup another second hand?

Al...

Probably the cat disintegrated by now (if they had them in 1998?)

Tweeky has one available here

Also worth double checking the channels that hold the jubilee clips to the underside of the heat shield haven't parted company with the heatshield in places - quite common and can cause annoying rattles at different temps *rolleyes*

• Area Representative

I recently had a rattle on my single pipe exhaust and it turned out to be a crack around the rear pipe where it exits the silencer. No noticeable change in exhaust noise, but a rattle every now and then. Had it welded and now cured.

I think they may be prone to cracking here, as the metal on rear of silencer is quite thin.

Worth a close look - it's not always that easy to spot.

Otherwise, you can probably pick up a second hand replacement quite cheaply with an ad in Wanted.

I've got a 1 year older, similar spec car and have the same issue. Mine's been getting steadily worse for the last 4 years - but according to my friendly, local MOT man it would still pass the emissions test (not that it needs it *biggrin*) It's also quite noisy most of the time, but was only 96dB when last measured at a trackday.