Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil pressure

Chas Guirey

Can one of you please give me some advice - I have bought a vauxhall classic 1600 1998 in immaculate condition. When the car is cold the oil pressure goes straight to 3 bar and doesnt go any higher regardless of how fast the engine is running. However after a long run when the engine is hot the oil pressire drops to just above the red mark on the gauge at tickover. Can anyone tell me what the pressure should be and what I should be looking at..........other than a big bill! Thanks Chas

Dear All thanks for your reassurance - blind panic was setting in. I will get a smiley face sticker to put over the gauge which should do the trick. Being an engineer I think I tend to look for problems with all things mechanical. I must admit that all the cars I have had in the past have ticked over at about 1.5 bar and 4 bar at higher revs. Look forward to seeing some of you at Brands the weekend after next

regards

Chas

Probably in order of difficulty, check the voltage regulator, the earth should be the engine block so can be assumed unless the engine to chassis/battery connections are knackered, the oil pressure sender.

Possibly see if you get different readings with another gauge (at the festival or club meet?) by extenting the wiring...

Or ignore it completely. In an old Opel Manta that I owned, I got through 3 pressure senders before I gave up. The problem was that the only access to the sender was by removing the exhaust manifold. In my case the gauge started to dance around a bit and then totally died - absolute panic the first time it happened - usual disengage gear switch off engine and coast to a halt. Check oil levels, gently start engine and listen for a while and then start to trust engine - incidentally the oil warning light was not lit up. Eventually GM admiteed to a faulty batch of senders!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!