Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OT Turbo bearings

Red SLR

I have a machine here, its a small 3 cyl turbo.

The turbo is tiny, about 3 inches in diameter.

Anyway, the engine has been smoking for a few months on start up so I got round to pulling the inlet to bits and taking a look at the turbo. It seems ok, but there is a little bit of play in the main shaft. Up and down, not back and forward.

I am just wondering if thats normal.... I assume not? But I am not too sure how the bearings operate - i.e do they need oil pressure? I have seen a "proper" failed turbo before where there is 5mm of movement in the main shaft and the blades have contaced the housing. Its no where near that bad - and the movement is tiny but I just thought I would ask on here. *wavey*

I'm pretty sure that it's shagged. There shouldn't really be any free play as that would upset the blade to housing clearances. Turbo bearings need a pressure oil feed, although I think it's usually reduced from the main engine pressure. The oil seal should stop the oil getting into the exhaust, so smoke is a bad sign.

Thanks, it does calm down once it gets warm, but for the first 2 mins or so its fairly smokey. The only snag is the turbo is the best part of £3k... *rolleyes* *eek* *rolleyes*

I am trying to figure out if I can get a kit for it though.

The engine is a Kubota V1505. I just wanted to check that I was going down the right path before we try and strip it off. I will prob try and get it recond, but I dont know if they can. Worth asking I guess.

Hi

Yes I think thats probably the case, had another look at it last night and I am guessing its not that. So thats good news in a way, but the bad news is it probably needs a top end refresh... 😔