Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Classic VX 1.6 OHC to 1.8 Upgrade

N Longson

I have just been quoted £1995 (inc Vat) by Caterham to convert my Classic VX 1.6 OHC to 1.8. Although they would knock off £350 if the engine is supplied out of the car.

This is far too pricey for my liking for a 20bhp increase. Unfortunately Caterham cannot supply the upgrade as a kit for the customer to sort out the necessary engine work – probably best for someone mechanically challenged as myself but not for friends in the club who could show me the ropes in return for beer tokens.

Does anybody know what parts are required for the conversion so I can cost out doing the conversion the hard way? - and who would be able to provide the parts?

Thanks

Neill

I think the VX 2.0 XE route will work out too expensive for me at the moment. Whereas if the 1.8 upgrade consists of reboring the block, new pistons, cam and sorting out the carbs this may be possible for around £750 which would be in the right ballpark moneywise.

Neill

I don't know much aout the 1.6 Vauxhall engine, but I seem to remember that it is not a standard item out of an Astra/Vectra/Cavalier and some of the standard performance parts do not fit.

However, Bill Blydenstein used to be the Vauxhall guru if he is still around and used to get significant gains from head work on the standard engines.

One caveat is that the inlet manifold is not ideal and may become the limiting factor in performance terms.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

At the risk of inciting all sorts of comments I was faced with your problem 2 or 3 years ago. I found it cheaper to replace the Vx1600 with a X-flow. More tuning potential and a well known quantity. Even a fairly basic K series would be better!!!

Barry

Bill Blydenstein is still around and can, he says, do head work on the 1600 Vx that will give approximately another 10-15 bhp if the car is properly set up (rolling road) afterwards. The work primarily involves all new valve guides, larger inlet valves, some mild head work and, of required, some work to match the inlet manifold to the head. Total cost around £500, which does not include head removal or re-fitting. His address/contact details are Hyde Hall Farm, Sandon, Buntingford, Herts, SG9 0RU. Tel:01763 272866. I have no connections with him but remember his involvement with Vauxhall Race and Rally efforts some years ago.

Bill Blydenstein has done some work on a Vx 1600 Caterham for a Mr Shalders who lives in Worthing, if anyone knows him.

• 4 months later...

I am the person, mentioned!

I was very happy with the work carried out by Bill, and he is a veru interesting bloke to talk to as well! A rolling road comparison just after the head work was done gave a 10bhp increase (loads more torque lower down though) and Bill will say that even more can be expected after the head has had a chance to coke up.

I've also fitted the same camshaft as Caterham do for the 1800 conversion. (I think the number is AST14 from Kent Cams, but haven't checked). After a rolling road with this fitted the car had 135bhp estimated at the flywheel, so with both of these done, its made a big improvement. Not sure if this is the most economical way for more power, but it is a good route if you like changing things yourself and want to spend a little bit of money in drips and drabs!