Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Speedo and tacho drive for x-flow

Sam Monoogian

The assembly guide mentions a right-angle drive for the speedo cable (5-speed box) which I don't seem to have. I presume the other end of the speedo cable then screws into this? Where would be the quickest place to order a right-angle drive from?

Also, what does the tacho sender look like on a x-flow and where is it placed. I would have thought it was flywheel driven but can't find one on my engine. I may need to buy one of these as well - suggestions for sources for this as well please.

The joys of rebuilding off the cuff eh *smile*

Sam

For the speedo

I would tend to try to keep the facility to have it connected incase you are stopped by officious policeman but if you did want to blank it off at the gearbox end you would need a 1p or smaller held in by a circlip as it doesnt really "bolt" in. it is more of a top hat fitment

The tacho drive is likely to be a feed from an HT lead or similar rather than a crank sensor but more than that I dont know

Nick

Speedo angle drive - try Caterham Parts Dept?

Tacho drive is provided by the white/black wire from the coil on a crossflow engined-loom (87 on according to Tony Weale's book), assuming you have a conventional distributior ignition. There's no mechanical tacho drive AFAIK. If you're on 3D ignition system or fuel einjection, then there'll be a feed from the black box.