Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

what oil?

matt the hat

Mathew,Happy new car.

We also are just getting to the end of our build 😬 and have taken some advice on the same subject. It seems that the synthetics are real good at protecting your engine from wear but are too slippy to let the engine bed in and so we have gone for the mineral. As far as we can gather it takes around 10,000 miles to run in the engine completely but not sure how long your ment to run it on the mineral stuff for. i'll watch here

we've already done 1.6 miles in and out the driveway and we only got it running on saturday 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

cheers al *cool*

engines do seem to 'loosen up' with time. i don't know what this means physically inside the engine but autocar regualrly get better and better 0-60 times as a car gets more mileage on it. 10k is not unreasonable in this respect and the effects (particularly with certain makes) can be worth more than a second on a sub 10 second car.

HOOPY R706KGU what's a 'hood' 🤔 😬

Whether to use synthetic or not from the start depends on the finishing treatment given to the liners and also the material quality of the piston rings. If the liners are plateau honed, then you can run on synthetic from the start and no running in is required.

I am pretty certain that Ks are not plateau honed, so an initial period on mineral oil with reduced revs and avoiding full throttle is probably a good idea.

As for engines loosening up to the extent of giving 1 second quicker 0-60s - that is fanciful and would require a large number of horses to be missing initially in internal losses. That much energy would cause overheating and damage, so I am fairly easily convinced that it doesn't happen.

I suggest that you look at the oil section in the user guide and put in what it tells you.

I went to halfrauds and got 8L of Mineral oil for my R300, then when it came to putting it in I read the manual and decided against it and put 5w-40 in.

If Caterham are happy for you to run mineral oil and keep the warranty then fine but I would check with them first. They told me they put fully synth in the factory built cars.

Also check your speedo is not counting up on its own.

Mine is.

Simon.

See X777CAT here

Just a note that my friend had a sport 135 elise which has a hand put togethere engine by Janspeed his first engine was run on castrol magnetech from delivery and he went through a very strict factory advised run in of 1500 miles, this had been confrimed from the factory and the dealer.

His engine started to lose power after 5000 miles and sent it back to the dealer, they found that the bores had glased so they honed the bores gave it a new set of rings and dropped it back in, they then ran it on magnetec again,, running in for only 500 miles, the engine lasted around 4000 miles before he started to have the same problem, it was by now out of warrenty but managed to get them to look at the vehicle due to the engine work that had been done, when they stripped it down they found the same problem, glased bores.

They replaced the engine with a complete brand new unit, this time though they filled it with some cheap **** oil and told him to take it easy ( not run in) for a couple of hundred then bring it back. so they could fill it with Magnetech.

From talking to the guys in thw workshop he has found out that the cause was TO HIgh of grade of oil in not allowing any type of bedding betwwen bores and rings.

Now this is a non to special engine and it had probs, my 1.4 SS was given death from day 1 after a rebuild and never had any prob from being run on fully synth.

I don't believe in running in persay but don't thrash an engine from the word go.

You can make your own conclusion and if the vehicle has a warrenty then you shold run the oil they say but, they have been known to be wrong.

Keith soon to be sevening again 😬

Different engines do rquire different treatment do to their differing bore hones. I have had problems twice now trying to run in an engine on oil that is too good! Now that I've learned my lesson, on my XFlow (with forged pistons *thumbup*) the running in period was about 500 miles. It's easy to tell on an XFlow because the idle goes up as the friction comes down, but on the modern engines the idle stabiliser might hide this from you. IMHO too good an oil for the first 1000 miles is worse than too bad.

*cool* 99,000 miles so far