Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting new rear discs etc

GPBox

Hi all, time to replace my 2001 K std rear discs....

a few questions....

should I replace the wheels studs also ? here - and is that really £5.64 EACH !!

should I replace the drive axle nuts ?

if I replace the rear bearing at same time, does this kit here contain one bearing or two ? (I know the picture shows two )....is this a tricky job ?

anything else ?

any pitfalls to watch out for in the process ?

thanks Graham

After seemingly having difficulty getting the old pads to bed to the new discs, I think if I was doing the job again I wouldnt be so tight as to re-use the pads, even if they did have a reasonable thickness of pad material left. I fitted new hub nuts and took off the bearing carriers, cleaned, re-greased the bearings and derusted the carriers.

I wouldn't change the studs. Hub nuts would be a good idea. Those studs look very expensive. Are they the right ones .... 32mm or 40mm ? They look like older design, hence little stock and silly price. No need to do bearings unless mega mileage or play detected ? You may have fun with the shallow headed bolts on the discs ..... plenty of postings about this if you search.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 12 May 2011 21:31:39

Another Blatchat top tip for the disc bolts is to attach the hub & disc assembly to the removed wheel, turn face down and kneel on the tyre while undoing the disc-hub shallow headed bolts. You also might want to consider a surface driving socket to prevent the corners of the bolt head being rounded off.

• Area Representative

Hi Graham,

Your figure sounds about right per wheel. I bought a full set of studs from CC last year and it was around £21 for the full set of 16 studs

Nick

Graham, those are the triumph /ital ones. If you're on a 2001 car then unless it's a special brew you should have the de-dion rear end and should be using the ford studs that are about £1.50 each...

Studs are not a moving part and they are not tightened to beyonf the elastic point (unless your tyre fitter is a gorilla) so reuse them if sound. I second the advice not to reuse pads - new discs deserve new pads. If you are interested in saving a few quid, then keep the old ones until the new ones wear out. By that time the discs will have a bit of wear and the odd score so a good used pad won't be such an issue.

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
I wouldn't change the studs. Hub nuts would be a good idea. Those studs look very expensive. Are they the right ones .... 32mm or 40mm ? They look like older design, hence little stock and silly price. No need to do bearings unless mega mileage or play detected ? You may have fun with the shallow headed bolts on the discs ..... plenty of postings about this if you search.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 12 May 2011 21:31:39

Hub nuts definitely, as single use only. You will need to replace wheel studs if they are the short variety and you are using the car for motorsport. The short ones do not fully engage the open wheel nuts and will be picked up at scrutineering.

• Area Representative

I don't think anyone answered

does this kit here contain one bearing or two ?

Each kit contains two bearings and two seals. Enough for one wheel.

I understand all later cars use these here, which are 40mm long.

The shorter ones are fine if using standard wheels and nuts, but if using MB wheels with sleeve nuts, then the stud only just protrudes through the wheel.

I've had a snapped nut using MB's and short studs ☹️

• Area Representative

I've had a snapped nut using MB's and short studs

That'll be at museum corner, then, Richard

No, not the result of an excursion, but my heavy handed co-driver in the padock at Llandow last year *eek*

I should have punished him by not taking him to Llandow again............... *smile*