Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Rear Number Plate

Clive Faulkner

Hi Folks

Since taking delivery of my new K Series 3 weeks ago the rear number plate which is affixed to the spare wheel carrier only by a sticky substance has fallen off twice, once in the yard at CCM and once in my garage. Although I've done in excess of 300 miles it's remained intact while in use. Is this a common problem and should I drill the spare wheel carrier and alleviate the problem?

Clive.

The problem with my spare wheel carrier is that the plates to which the tape affiixes are below the level of the carrier bars on which the number plate bears. So unless you have thick enough tape, there is very little surface being adhered to. After mine also fell off twice, despite using two thicknesses of tape, I went the route of drilling two holes (protecting the tyre with a bit of wood!) and fixing with plastic number plate nuts and screws. I just thought the hassle that would be involved if it departed in the middle of some major trip wasn't worth chancing. *rolleyes*

As to Velcro, I find that its hook and loop aspect is fine. The problem I have found with it is the quality of the adhesive, particularly if it is fixed in a warm place. So in the height of summer, you may want to park your car with the number plate in the shade. *smokin*

Another vote for the No More Nails Exterior Tape (red backing) here. *thumbup* Used it on mine - very strong, can't be easily nicked (unlike Velcro) but the plate can be carefully prised off if you're prepared to take your time, and the residue can be rolled off with your thumb without leaving a residue and without affecting the paintwork. Available form Robert Dyas.

I need to switch my plates soon and have a question about the fixing please. Do the suggested adhesive tapes work when the plate is attached to the curved tubing of the spare wheel carrier?

The plate is currently attched by the glue that CC uses as described by Clive at the top of the thread.

Thanks

Edited by - Mabbs on 15 May 2011 09:44:59

Quoting Mabbs: 
I need to switch my plates soon and have a question about the fixing please. Do the suggested adhesive tapes work when the plate is attached to the curved tubing of the spare wheel carrier?

The plate is currently attched by the glue that CC uses as described by Clive at the top of the thread.

Thanks

Edited by - Mabbs on 15 May 2011 09:44:59

The No More Nails Exterior Tape certainly does. I put lengths of tape on the fixing tabs (double thickness IIRC, as they're recessed) and also on the top, bottom and side tubing. It's as solid as a rock, and has never given me any issues - despite going out in the wet on a regular basis.

I also used it to fix the plate to the nosecone - again with no issues at all (except that I got the line-up a bit wrong and had to remove the plate and do it again *redface*).

The main advantage that I found over the traditional foam double-side tape that you get from Halfords etc is that you don't have to scrape off a residue if you remove the plate, as the tape can be rolled off (once you have prised off the plate) with your thumb.

Edited by - Mort on 15 May 2011 10:35:57

Hello Mabbs

To enable me to use the car yesterday (I had promised to take my grandson out) I used standard velcro while waiting for the 3M Dual-lock that I have ordered. The thickness of standard velcro used on the flats of the wheel carrier had the number plate well proud of the tubular part.The dual-lock has arrived today and I shall change it over because it is obviously stronger than what I used for Sunday but quite clearly any velcro will do a better job than the original CC efforts.

I take the point though of other people that you do take the risk of having your plate nicked by using velcro and the No More Nails option is more secure in that respect.

I use 3m Heavy duty Velcro.... good stuff, but 2 things:

-- In a previous thread one of the club member was travelling to france and he was asked to replace the velcro with a more perminant adhesive..

-- the Velcro it self is good, but the adhesive is just ok... It works better on Plastic/fibre glass than on metal. I had no problem with the front plate (Velcro adhers well to the nose cone) but make sure you clean the rear rack well (with meth) before attaching the velcro.

A