Click here if you are having website access problems ×

side/dash fuse gone again!

RiF

Richard, I had exactly the same problem for a long while and could not find anything obviously wrong. I then discovered quite by accident that one of the instrument lights had come out of its 'hole' and I think that it was occasionally causing a short that blew the fuse. I have not had the fuse go again since I pushed the light firmly back into its socket about 3 weeks ago. So, take a look behind the dash an check that you do not have the same problem. Good luck. Andrew

C7 OCU

I've got exactly the same problem. I have got a big lump on my head where I scalped it with a steering column while upside down in the car. I cant find the cause anywhere & its doing my head in (literally).

Cant find any loose connectors & I cleaned the dashboard earth. I am tempted to stick a bigger fuse (>10 A) in but I reckon replacing the dash bulbs would be even more irritating.

By the way, has any one ever change / replaced / refitted one of the rear fogs? How the hell do you do it? Mine has disintegrated & fell off today.

Any bright, illuminating ideas for my illumination problems? *confused*

O.K. - so another reply that's of little/no help.

Swapped cash for Caterham over the weeked, checked lights before driving home and all was well.

Told that o/s rear not working after about the first 40 miles (tailgated all the way home by nervous wife!) - believe it must have been those bloody irritating furrows (that I've never noticed in a Landcruiser!) on the M6 around Junctions 5/6/7.

I chased the wiring all the way back last night, checking for power using a multimeter, before finally finding the fuseboard (just before the earthquake hit us).

Found the 7.5A fuse blown in mine also.

DON'T fit a bigger fuse - a direct short will blow anything that you can throw at it (short of a 3" nail) and can lead to melting of the plastic that covers wires (I know - I had an MGB once !!!)

You need to find the cause. Try isolating dash lighting before re-fitting the fuse - see if that works.

If not - buy LOTS of 7.5 amp fuses and keep them in your pocket.

Thanks for the various info. Seems I am not alone.

Just checked the instruments, seems all needed tightening, can't see or feel anything else out of place. Shall buy more fuses and keep figers crossed. Shall not try bigger fuse although I too have been tempted!!!!

Well in France we stay lighter 1 hour longer than the UK so not a problem yet.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Richard in France

>Any other ideas?

Get stuck upside down in the footwell. Bang head on steering column again. Slump in footwell moaning about a non removable dashboard.

Swear.

Start histerical laughter cos you cant get out. Get your Mum to take a photo, prior to helping you out.

Swear.

Post a thread on blatchat asking "Why, wouldnt it be a good idea to drill out the rivets on the dash & replace them with self tappers?"

😳