Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which dry sump belt tensioner?

Shaun_E

• Support Team

We had a somewhat catastrophic failure of our dry sump belt on Saturday which led to the demise of the engine. My best guess is that the tensioner failed - the bearing is very wobbly on it now - and destroyed the belt, pieces of which got under the cambelt cover causing the cam belt to skip a few teeth.

I have been told that there are 2 types of dry sump belt tensioner - if so, which is the best one to have? Mine was an automatic (sprung) tensioner.

The manual one is "simpler" and one would have thought that as a result there are less things to go wrong.

The tensioner nut in the middle is a pain in the arse as it's very easy to shear when you're doing it up, but that's the one that I use. Simply a wheel that slides up and down a shaft that has a slot down the middle of it. Adjustment is via a threaded bolt - adjust to the required tension and nip up the nut in the centre of the wheel.

Very bad luck there Shaun ☹️

Belt failure always used to worry me on the K especially after spending big on the 1.9k steel jobbie a while back. If I had kept her I was planning on putting a big red warning light in the centre of the top of the scuttle connected to a microswitched wheel held back by the belt as long as it was there.........

I lost my pulley entirely. Also, I have gone through two alloy ones and now just use the standard and it has been fine for the past 10k miles at least.

Here is a pic of my warning light (with more pics here )

http://www.drhornsby.com/pics/Sump%20Pulley%20Warning%20System/picture%209%20-%20assembled%20side%20view.JPG

Edited by - jakeandlizzy on 9 May 2011 13:36:17

I had the black ali one but the bearing was gone when I swopped engines 2 seasons ago. I went for the standard plastic auto tensioner and through the other away. So far its still ok.

David

ps Adrian has a warning light as do I. sure you could copy it.