Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1997 Super 7 Rear End Overhaul

Shortie.J

Hi, I recently became the proud owner of a 1997 VX powered 7 (and been doing a lot of grinning ever since!)

It's covered 40K and I suspect the rear end needs some attention (bushes etc)

Anyone able to point me in the right direction or offer any advice ?

Thanks in advance !

Shortie *cool*

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. I separated the dedion tube from the ears / hub assessmbly and removed it along with the A frame and trailing arms and fuel tank strap. I removed the bushes and has them blasted and re-powder coated. I also took the opportunity to replace the solid brake hoses with flexis. I fitted replacement standard bushes, but you could fit upgraded Powerflex bushes if you wanted. I fitted standard bushes as I wasnt planning on doing the same work on the front in the near future.

If you wanted to go further, you could remove roll bar for coating, which makes removing the fuel tank easier if you want to clean behind there & check wiring etc.

I hope it doesnt rain for the whole time your doing it as it took me a month or so do get it all done! *wink* PS getting bushes out is a major PITA- easiest way is to press them out with a vice and sockets, rather than a hack saw!

Its worth checking the propshaft which may require a refurb - mine did after 11,000 miles of which 1000miles were racing. Its very difficult to check if its OK whilst in the car (unless its completely shot) and I only noticed mine was wearing when I removed the engine and could move it around a bit. As the propshaft is removed from the back of the car and you will have the suspension off the car it makes sense. But to do this the diff and fuel tank needs to come out which is hassle. The diff is probably fine but for a small sum you could get this checked and fit new bearings and seals. I got SPC to do mine and they lightened the crown wheel at the same time. At least that way you know its all fine for many years to come and overall not that expensive but quite a few hours work.