Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you upgrade to a hydraulic clutch

Andy Best

I am considering improving the clutch feel and action on my 97 K series and looking at the hydraulic option, somebody must have done this so what are the results/pitfalls?

Can I buy a kit from someone or would it be a complete DIY job?

If it’s a DIY job who are the best suppliers?

Am I just better off replacing the cable clutch parts with something better?

Andy, I have a US LHD that came set up with the hydraulic master Cylinder in place. So I thought that I might as well keep it rather than remove and run the cable. Works fine now, thanks to the support from the guys on Blatchat. Since I run a six speed gearbox you have to creat a clevis type device to mate to the clutch fork. Caterham's engineer's comments were "Wev'e never done one of those, let me know how it turns out". Also had to put some spacers in between the slave cylinder and the bell housing to get enough pull to disengage the clutch. Hope that helps. Tom

A lot of the clutch feel with the cable is down to the angle at which the pedal is resting. This can mean the difference between a rising and falling rate on the clutch cable actuation. Some attention to detail in this area, possibly moving your seat to compensate may improve feel.

If going for hydraulic, then it is worth going the whole hog for a concentric slave cylinder. You bolt these to the front of the gearbox and shim so that the release bearing reaches the clutch fingers. A hydraulic pedal and master cylinder are available. This is not possible if you have the dry sump system with the in-bellhousing oil tank.

If you have the dry sump system, then you need to go DIY. I designed a clutch slave cylinder that has outlasted the engine it was fitted to.

Having suffered all sorts of hell after fitting for the third time QED's multiplate clutch (7.25") and flywheel to my dry sumped K series, I was seriously considering following PC's hydraulic route... then the clutch cable broke!

In 15 minutes the spare was removed from the boot and fitted... and within 5 minutes of driving with a new cable, all thoughts of a hydraulic clutch vanished - such was the difference made by a new clutch cable.

JH

I have fitted concentric slave hydraulic operation to some Lotus 7 cars and feel this is the best way to go . On a cable op car this is obviously a bit more involved but not beyond the wit of man(or woman) SBD can supply all the bits inside the bellhousing and I'm sure Redline can provide the pedal end. It may only take 20 mins to change the cable but why should you?

If you like it do it again