Click here if you are having website access problems ×

new (paranoid) owner of HPC....

Dave W

Hi

Having finally got rid of my W*******d, I've just bought a '92 HPC and it seems to have a few more "funny" noises than I was expecting 8-)... I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I should panic...?

Rear diff seems to clonk a bit on slow (<20mph) tight corners, especially on a trailing throttle, seems ok in a straight line, Caterham say the car was fitted with an LSD (if that makes any difference?)

Engine - pulls fine (! 8-) ), starts/runs well, sounds a bit tappety? Is that normal for these?

Its done 13500 miles (allegedly).......

Also the steering is VERY heavy, its got 16" HPC wheels and (205?) tyres and a small 12"(?) wheel - fine when driving BUT VERY heavy when parking - normal?

Any Caterham friendly servicing places around Southampton or do I have to drive to Caterham?

Anything I should look out for on an HPC that might indicate big bills coming?

Thanks

Dave (Keeping his fingers crossed)

Edited by - Dave W on 9 Oct 2000 10:59:15

My 94 HPC sounds tappety if the oil is not topped up absolutely to the max. on the dipstick. On the wheels front, the steering is very heavy on the 16" wheels, but much lighter with my 13" wheels. Not only is it lighter on 13" wheels at parking speeds, but also on the move. Don't know anything about the diff - too mechanical/clever for me.

Mike

A differential clonk is normal for an LSD.

You could try some thinner oil rather than thicker. The VX has hydraulic tappets and they may not be pumping up properly when the oil is cold. Go for a good long thrash - at least half an hour - with a lot of wide open throttle to get the oil really hot. Before switching off, dip the clutch to make sure you are hearing the engine rather than the gearbox layshaft and see if the tappetty noise is there. If it isn't then a change of oil grade will sort you out. Go for something with a 0W40 or 5W40 grade. If the W (winter) grade is 10 or above the tappettyness will probably come back.

Phew, was just worrying about my recently acquired HPC clonking and tappeting. Or at least, what I can hear of it over the straight-cut box and squeaks from christ knows where.

As for big bills? I'm hoping for nothing more than constantly filling the tank with Super at less than 20mpg...

Hi Dave,

I have a 93 HPC @ 16k miles, and live in Poole, so if you want to compare various engine/transmission sounds give me a call. I'm not aware of any Caterham freindly garages in the area.

I also had 16" wheels, I now have 13" and the steering is lighter.

Work 01202 343723

Cheers

Ian.

More of the same, I have a 92 HPC, with 40k miles on it, it too makes odd noises, but so far nothing has gone wrong. I do find that if I go for a blast & then stop for 10 mins or so, then start it & immediately start using all the revs, it sometimes sounds tappety, normally I warm it gently, so I guess it needs time to pump the tappets back up.

Certainly I never get more than 20 mpg & normally average around 18 (depends if I have the misses in the car, it seems to give better consumption with her in it, can't think why).

I too have just changed from the 16 inch wheels & had my first run yesterday with 13 inch (185x70's Yokohama's, really cheap)& the car feels very different, much more plesant & tectile to drive, a lot less tramlining, much more controlable on bumpy roads, less crashing form badly maintained road surface to badly maintained road surface but a little more bounce from the rear, a bit more understeer, I will know on grip when the tyres have a bit more wear on them. Certainly worth doing for everyday use & 5 wheels & tyres works out cheaper than changing those rock hard michelins for more of the same.

Geoff

This question of tappety sounding Vx engines needing thicker or thinner oil seems to be a little contentious. I can understand PC's arguement that it's thin oil that's needed to fill up the hydraulic tappets quickly on start up but I can on this occassion speak from personal, practical experience which seems to differ from his theory. When my engine was running on 0w40 Mobil 1 it would sound dreadfully tappety on hot start up after hard use, like getting ready for the next session on track days. This embarrassing noise took a few minutes to clear and yes this must be the time taken for the tappets to refill. Nowadays I'm running 15w50 Halfords mineral oil, about ten pounds for five litres and the engine sounded good at Cadwell on friday. My theory is that the thicker oil cannot drain out of the tappets and thus they stay charged ready for the next start up. At next oil change time I'm going to try the 15w50 Mobil 1 to see if it's just the grade of oil that makes the difference maybe mineral Versus synthetic or film strength comes into it too. I suspect there may be more to this than a simple theory can explain. I've heard tell that some Vx engine tuners recommend Amsoil to counter the tappets problem has anyone had any practical experience of this stuff. It's apparently a racing oil from you guessed it America.

Help!!

My HPC must have something wrong with it. I average about 30 mpg.

Do I drive to slow?

On the oil subject I found that sustained high revs made the tappets noisy. Also the oil pressure used to drop slightly.

I have recently changed the sump for a different type with no sponge baffle. This is what I think was causing it as it has been rattle free since. I am using Mobil 1 0w40.

Since the sump change the oil pressure has been higher after a good thrash.

Hope this may help.

James cool.gif

Edited by - James on 12 Oct 2000 21:31:05

I've just bought the Captain's old 16" HPC wheels (Still well pleased Gary) so I expect that I'm due for some "heavy steering" experiences. Before you consider changing to 13s I'd check out your existing ground clearance under the sump, as it will reduce by about 1", it might make the difference between :-) and :-(

Mike

thanks for all the comments, very reassuring !

i have decided to give the car to Caterham next week for one of their "sooper dooper deluxe" services .... hopefully they will check all the oil's etc....

my car has a Vecta immobiliser fitted - was that an option or standard on HPC's? it plays all kinds of tunes pre/post starting the car, makes people in car parks turn round !

i havent had a car before that i can't nail the throttle on without losing the back wheels ! great fun.......... 8-)

Edited by - Dave W on 13 Oct 2000 11:39:45

Geoff, I take it that you are pleased with the wheels? sound investment. Worth the money to reduce the strain on the wrists.

Who claims 30 MPG! do you want to swop engines?

If you fit 70 section 21R's (cheap at £45 ea.) you will find an additional 1/4" at your sump.

Cheers Rob, I am indeed pleased with the new wheels (& tyres). I had the tyres fitted last weekend & took them out for a play, unfortunately the tyre fitters had not balanced them and above 55mph it was practically undrivable, I hate doing 55 on country lanes & holding other people up, it's embarrassing, so I had them balanced, then in a fit of irritation & lack of time put the car back in the garage.

This Sunday was a different thing all together though, sun was shining etc etc & I managed to put about 40 miles on it. The car feels much more delicate to drive, a much more pleasing experience, I for one am chuffed to bits.

Thanks for all your work

Geoff