Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

I've been "Steve'd" :) (Duratec Remapping Content)

spiderlane

Just back from a mapping session of my 2010 R400 Duratec with the 2 Steves at Track and Road in Rainham.

One word summarises the result : Awesome.

To say they've transformed the drivability is an understatement - the car is so much smoother to drive, especially when coming on an off the throttle. It pulls so cleanly through all the revs too, it's fantastic.

I can now also manoeuvre in first and reverse without using the throttle at all, and the car is so much easier to drive around town and in traffic.

I'll post the dyno plot when I can get to the scanner, but it made 208.1bhp (out of a CC stated 210) so I'm pretty pleased with that. However I'm not really fussed about the numbers, just how it drives and that has improved beyond all recognition.

If anyone is considering a remap, I can't recommend them highly enough - best money I've spent on a car by a long way. It's not cheap but the guys spent hours getting it right until they felt it was the best it could be.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by - spiderlane on 28 Apr 2011 21:34:15

Fill mine up when the stack shows less than 10 litres, so not really sure what the range is, I've been getting 21/22 on the road, normal driving, if ever there is such a thing, Oulton park about 12 in the afternoon sessions 😬, and only once i got 28 on a run up the motorway driving like my great granny.

Based on my figures, i'm getting less than you do.

Mine is the standard map, so curious whether this has improved.

Have you still got the plenum? or upgraded?

Yes I'm married, Monday is my 1st Anniversary, and i won't be going to Stoneleigh in the morning this year, cus the wife said i couldn't go *redface*

Drifter, look at a thread recently on Z and F Tuning as they can map standard MEMS ECUs I think, with good results. But as said, DVA Power will be able to check and set the cam timing properly with some vernier pulleys, which is what I'd do first.

Drifter,

Like Mankee says Z&F can tweak your Mems, provided that it is an EU3 engine (plug top coils), if it has a distributor cap then it's a no-no.

If you do decide to have the cam timing addressed the ECU remap could be done on the same day.

Oily

Not sure if it helps by my 250bhp 2.3l Duratec returns 30mpg on the motorway driven gently (ie 70mph), however if you go for a faster cruise the mpg drops through the floor. I seem to rember at on 110mph cruise in Europe I used pretty much a whole tank in about 120miles! that's less than 20mpg 😳

Cheers

Rob

Great topic. I shall go for fitment of verniers first and then a re map. I know my car could do with improvement at low revs, pulling away especially when cold. My mpg averages 22-23mpg blatting with big divers boot on right foot. On the Wight blat bimbling around I got 28mpg. From the red line to full tank i get about 160 miles using lots of right foot. She is a 1.8 K series SV with roller barrells. I have read pretty much every thread on re mapping and the Steves get lots of big *thumbup* *thumbup* My wallet is steadily filling up ready for my improvements with DVA and the Steves . Great to hear yours was so worthwhile .. cheers Mark I look forward to mine even more. I will post any improvements when its done. *wavey*

Fil

Interesting thread, Mark. I had my R400D (standard plenum) done last September, and it came in at 207.9 bhp @ 7842 and 143.7 lbft @ 6069. So, my max torque is a bit down on yours. Did Steve go for a MAP map or a TPS map? He recommended the latter for mine .

The driveability was vastly improved -- so much better mannered in town. The only slight quirk was a tendency for the revs to rise and fall when the engine was first started, Once warm, it settled down to a steady beat. And like you, I could move off forwards or backwards just on tickover.

Agree totally that the Two Steves are an awesome combination -- especially if you remember to take along a packet of HobNobs.

JV

Glad you found the 2 Steves as awesome as I did. Here's a link to an earlier thread that addressed similar questions. As mentioned, I am getting around 35mpg on a day out at cruising speeds (70+10%+2) which dropped to 22 on track. Will be checking this again next month. The thread also has a link to a pic of my ECU that was re-programmed by Track and Road and you can see it's pretty bog standard.

Completely endorse the huge improvement in driveability. It's a real joy to drive at any speeds - though more fun when faster *biggrin*

Hope you continue to love the improvements,,,,,,,,,,,

• 3 weeks later...
Remapping is a treat my R400 will get next year. Long way to Essex- anybody as good nearer home anybody ? And naive numpty question- if so much improvement available how come standard mapping not as good - couldn't they perfect the mapping and then instal in each car? Or is each engine/ECU subtly different ? Or am I awash in a sea of ignorance?

I went to the Steves 3 weeks ago. My csr was doing 25mpg and shunting abit at low speeds. Just returned from Scotblat 2012 where I kept an eye on MPG. Despite spirited driving(3 day blat) I got 31mph for over 1000miles!

Dyno plot says 260.8bhp and 195lbft. And while shunting hasnt gone totally, its much improved.

Very happy!