Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Handbrake lever in bits - help!

Nodrog

The car is a 1995 1.4k live axle, with handbrake under the dash.

After a blat, pulled on the handbrake, to find no resistance - the lever pulled out 90 degrees. Found that the clevis pin holding the cable to the lever on one of the rear drums had disappeared. That was easily fixed with a new pin...

...BUT the lever had pulled over the ratchet, and the spring-loaded end button had retracted a bit. So I took the lever off the bulkhead to see if I could put it back together again - and can't, I only seem to have made it worse!! Main problem seems to be the springloaded part of the mechanism is well out of place.

As a relatively simpleton mechanic, is the easiest and quickest answer for me to order a new lever, or should it all fit together again, and if so has anyone got any tips for doing that?

Not surprisingly, the car failed its MoT yesterday - also for a couple of other minor things which are now fixed.

Nodrog

N910 RPM

Nodrog,

I made the mistake of taking my handbrake lever apart when it failed it MoT some years ago, in an attempt to fix it. I did manage to reassemble it and get it working (it's now only ever used at MoT time *eek*).

There are no major problems with it, it's just bl***y fiddly, especially getting the spring that pushes the button out to sit on it's mounting plate.

You will also find the rod that connects the button to the rachet is bent, and needs to be aligned correctly, or it will jam

Give it a go, be prepared to spend a few hours at it, it can be done.

Good Luck,

Dave H

More frustration, and success!

New lever duly arrived. As I was fiddling around with both the new and the old one, wondering how to put a bend in the new (straight) one to make it fit under the dash but on top of the transmission tunnel, the springy thingy on the old one popped into place!

So frustrating after all my previous attempts, but gift horses and mouths etc, and I refitted it pronto.

Anyone want to buy a new lever ???

Nodrog

N910 RPM