Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Painting a Garage floor

fastforward

I am moving my car to a new (to it) garage and I want to paint the floor. It is concrete and is very dusty when brushed. Advice on preparation and paint to apply would be appreciated. I am thinking of sealing with an exterior plaster sealer and then putting down door step paint.

You do need to 'seal' the floor first, go to B&Q and buy a great big tin of the cheapest gloss paint you can. White is very cheap. Also buy a couple of big bottles of white spirits. Mix some of the paint 50:50 with some of the white spirits and paint the floor. This will form a sealed base for you to put the top coat on later. Then paint the floor with the rest of the un mixed white. If you want a different colour top coat you can mix a small tin of coloured paint in with the white. What I am getting at is that proper floor paint is very expensive for what it is. My garage floor is grey, looks great, does the job and cost next to nothing. Once fully dry modern normal paint is very solvent resistant so an oil spill won't cause problems. If you don't use all the paint, you have a tin of white paint for other things.

Brian:the only way to go is paint the floor with 2 component epoxy paint, it is expencive but it will last forever. Any related white spirit paint will come loose when you spill some fuel or brake fluid.

First you clean the floor with water(10ltr) and a thee cup of amoniac

mixed in it to degrease the floor let dry, and paint the first layer of paint with an extra 10% thinner. The next day you paint the second layer

and you have a floor to last forever even if you have a jack on metal wheels. If you go for 1 component paint then it is possible that you have to repaint every 3 to 4 years.But beware if the floor is moist because of groundwater no paint will stick to the concrete.

Sikkens and Sigma both have 2 component paint, price +/- 60£ for 5ltr

not sure those are comersialised in U.K.

I got my red floor paint from an independant parts supplier - a fraction of Halfords and DIY shop price.

It's proper floor paint and is lasting very well after spills etc and using jacks.

I didn't spend days washing and painting the floor over and over again. I just brushed the crap up, thinned the paint 50 / 50 with white spirit and poured it onto the floor - then spread it about with a roller on a broom handle - if you go too fast you end up with what looks like sprays of blood up the wall, tumble drier, doors etc!! Wait for that to dry then dump the rest of the paint in big blobs around the floor and spead out. Remember to finish so you're not in a corner..... and keep cats out.

This has had white spirit , brake fluid, oil and petrol spilled on it with no problems. The red helps spot little washers / springs etc but I'd go for light grey as it will lighten up the place a bit if you have a choice.

I would love to paint my garage floor but appart from the bit on which the 7 sits it is totally covered with,

kids bikes,

bits of wood for putting the 7 onto a trailer

ramps x 2

axle stands x 4

trolley jack

tool boxes

bits of gardening type things

tent

water ski (mine and little used now) cool.gif

watering can

Mobil 1 (in a can)

deep freeze

drip tray (not needed now, thanks Roger)

dust and screws and washers etc.

A variety of spare parts that may come in handy one day.

Oh for a double garage, no kids (didnt mean that really) biggrin.gifand a concrete garden.

Edited by - John E on 10 Oct 2000 13:03:37

Edited by - John E on 10 Oct 2000 13:04:49

• Leadership Team

Brian, if you are intending to do a spot on job, you need an industrial grade floor paint and a concrete acid etcher. These are available from places such as Watco, but expect to pay about £70 for a quality 2 pack epoxy paint (5 litres!!!), and about £20 for the etcher. The job will last for ever.

If you use a cheaper (eg B&Q) floor paint, the floor will look just as good but will not be resistant to knocks and wear. The biggest problem however is that when the car has been standing for a while, the tyres will adhere to the paint better than the concrete, and bingo, a floor with a tread pattern. Make sure you put matting under the tyres!

Stu.

• Leadership Team

I gotta work...

cut the grass...

sleep.....

keep the family happy...

and......

and then.......

ok I admit it, it's been raining up here for nearly a week and I'm totally p*%$£"d off!

• Leadership Team

John, can't make it due to my daughter's birthday. I needed a bit more notice, like 7 years 9 months more notice then I could have re-scheduled.

Chris - it'll stop raining up here on Saturday because the sun shines on the righteous, and I'm told the holy one drives a Se7en? And he's from up norf. Or "she" (before Anna butts in).

Still Oulton Park then.

Stu.

Gotta say that painting the floor is only the first step to being a real sad individual....

Personally I now have white 13"sq ceramic tiles on the floor, white MFI wall and base kitchen units with stainless looking handles on the doors on two sides of the garage, and I had a nice local firm make me up some stainless cladding for the worktop.

Looks the biz, and I even get the wife to mop the floor clean when she's doing the kitchen.

Now all I have to do is stop my 6spd box dropping oil. Do they all do this??

Arnie

John E

As for your yearning for a double garage, I am very fortunate in that regard as my present house is so blessed. The problem is that I also have two kids with all their bikes, scooters, sledges and more footballs than you could imagine..and I've only one son! That and the mountain bikes, gardening bits and pieces used by the boss and all my tools and spares, leaves very little room for the Seven and the regular vehicles.

I think we all seem to overfill whatever space is available to us and I have now found it necessary to buy a shed!!

All compounded by the fact that I can't find a buyer for an immaculate Toyota Carina E Estate which is cluttering the situation even more!

Andrew.