Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch Stuck On

Mat Norris

Cardinal Sin I know But have just fired the 7 up for the first time this year due to moving house and the poxy clutch is wedged on. I tried the old 'up on axle stands' trick and riding the brake/clutch and throttle, but to no avail. Anyone got any top tips, as I don't fancy an engine out job after just getting it all back together. Cheers *thumbdown* *eek*

This is the less brutal method! Warm the car up. Push it out onto the road and start it up in first gear with the clutch held down. Sometimes this is enough to free it off,. If it does start in first gear keep it going and drive it with the clutch down. This usually frees it off. Best of luck!

The easy way!

Place rear of car on axle stands(level ground and chock front wheels.

Start car in gear 2nd is good usually.

Bring the revs up a bit then stamp on brake and clutch.

may take a few goes and a few more revs but always works.

Next time run and roll the car every week!

Best wishes

Joe

Years ago when I were a lad every single Hillman Imp (cue peels of laughter) that was parked up ready for despatch, seized its clutch. I must have freed hundreds. The starting off technique was not very elegant - but was effective.

Get the motor warm, switch off, put it in first, turn the key and catch it as it fires. Kangaroo up the road and do the business.

Incidently, I have driven cars home with failed clutch release mechanisms using said take-off technique.

Steve B