Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-Series - Radiator Temperature

makingff

Right. Have bled and lifted and squeezed and filled and everything else I can think of. Hoses are warming nicely.

I have replaced the temperature sender and fitted an r500 fan switch. I have a cheap Maplin temp reader which seems to agree with the temp gauge.

The car warms up nicely and gets to 80c. It then gradually creeps up whether driven or standing to what appears to be around 95c and never moves from there. Fan kicks in regularly.

If I use Maplin temp gauge at the rad inlet it shows around 92c and will be around 5c cooler at the bottom hose.

Is this ok? If not, what else should I do? New rad?

Simon

Pretty sure I have an 82 stat fitted (will check last service).

So.... If 88 stat that means bottom hose will not warm up until top hose at 88. Therefore, presumably the temperatures I'm seeing aren't really that high? Or are they? Struggling here as to what is 'normal'.

It's a 1.8 VVC by the way with an apollo.

Simon

Its working. Drive it.

Lol, I do - frequently, all year round.

Was out this morning and it seems very consistent at around 90 according to the gauge. Got stuck in traffic (don't you just love the A21...) and still didn't really fluctuate.

Maybe I'm just being too cautious but when you see other people's cars seeming to stick at around 80 it makes me wonder why mine doesn't!

Think I may drain and refill it this evening to see if that has any effect.

Simon

Simon, that will depend on the stat you have fitted. I used to have an 88 degree stat and it used to sit at approx 90 (on the gauge), I have now changed to an 82 degree stat and it now sits at around 80 (on the gauge). In both cases the stat is working as expected and the temp readings are what you would expect.

Sorry if that's a case of grandmother and eggs btw.

Regards.

Graham.

Simon,

if the gauge is reading a consistent, sensible value and the electric fan cuts in (when stationary) and out (when moving) there shouldn't be any source of concern.

If it gives reassurance, my car behaves as yours appears to. The standard thermostat is 88°C. My car is fitted with the standard thermostat and generally stabilises at the 'straight up' 80°C needle position on the gauge. I did a quick check on my car the other day after fitting a new radiator (different saga) and sitting at idle with the nosecone off mine, like yours, was about 92°C in the radiator top tank. Simultaneously the coolant rail adjacent to the gauge sender was 98°C according to the non contact thermometer and the laptop attached to the Emerald ECU (which switches the fan at 98°C on/96°C off). The standard radiator mounted fan switch on my car was a 92°C on/87°C off item so that is consistent with the measured differences at different points of the coolant circuit.

Caterham gauges are fine as an indicator of trends but expecting absolute accuracy can be a bit optimistic. Imagine there is a C-----N-----H legend instead.

You always have the right time. Until you get a second clock............