Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T VW Golf climatronic fault

Kevsta

Hi all, my Golf (Mk 4) has the climatronic system, always worked great until the other day. No matter what temp I put it on it throws out hot air, only when I put it on 'low' (rather than a temperature) does it give cold air. Anyone any ideas what this could be? I'd rather not go through trying to replace things to fix it and the car owes me silly money to consider letting a garage look at it (although I am tempted to let them plug it in the VAG com to see if it highlights a problem).

Any ideas welcome. *confused*

Thanks

Kev

Hi RJ *wavey*

This car is still giving me problems (I was literally just drooling on pistonheads at new cars!)

No the display does not flash. I am hoping it is something silly like the temp sensor for the interior.

The joys of electronics!

*wavey*

Could very well be - or the air temp sensor, which which tells the system the outlet air temp. If it thinks the cabin or air is cold enough it won't cool unless you really ask for low temperature. You'll probably have to draw your own conclusions from the measuring blocks.

Have you got the wiring diagram, or should I get it for you? If so a PM with a VIN no and details about age and engine would be great...

My Polo has developed the same fault (very intermitant), but I find switching it off and back on again clears it. However, I'm sure it will get worse as time passes so I would be interested to learn what fault you find. I shall pop to my local VW dealership to see what advice they have fro FREE *confused*

Not sure if this is the same system as in the Golf mk5 but in that one pressing AUTO and at the same time the bottom left of the four 'direction' buttons makes the system run a self-calibration process on all the flaps etc - it worked in SWMBO's car when that started not putting out the expected 'air' *wink*

I have vag-com if anyone needs it to help diagnosis.

The only issue I've had with the Golf's climatronic was the common cooling fan problem (fans pulse at high speed rather than being on constant low speed whilst a/c running). Fairly straight forward fix and it's been fine for years now (quickly touch wood).

More than compensated for by the a/c on the other tintop. That goes wrong every year as it just isn't keen on keeping the gas in.

Duncan

That sensor presumably sits inside the control unit - one of which I happen to have spare - new old stock. Just wondering if LHD is the same as RHD ... If it's of any use I can pop it into a jiffy bag for you. Mine is off a 2000 car I think.