Click here if you are having website access problems ×

British High Performance Saloon.....

6speedmanual

I have decided the time has come to find a new home for my lovely Jaguar XJR.

A new work arrangement with a very long commute means I'm moving into something very dull ☹️ powered by the oily fuel of lorries and tractors *evil*

Owning this last of the true Jags (prior to them all now being built on Ford platforms) has been great fun. Each journey has a real sense of occasion about it, unlike in many more "technical" and Teutonic machines. It is very fast and combines a whole range of talents (wafting, cruising, overtaking, carrying passengers in comfort, etc) surprisingly well. Classic Jag looks with mega performance. A match for its contemporary Autobahnuberschnellwagen. Very low slung and sports car like seating ( *idea* roofline is same height as a 911).

I have undertaken all the important jobs to ensure this car is fit many more thousands of miles.

It's only £12 per horsepower. Much cheaper than a lot of upgrades! 😬

Pistonheads advert here

Go on! Give it a whirl. You know you'd love one of these and it's a great British stable-mate to your Caterham.

Please give a call if you would like to discuss or arrange a viewing/test drive. 07990 562112

Peter

GJT *wavey* *thumbup*

You're right. Grieves me to sell it 'cos it's a nice piece of kit. If I could do 20 miles per day or just keep it garaged as a hobby car, I'd live with the drink habit. Carving a 104 mile a day groove in the A43/A34 requires a weasel.

From a straight maintenance and repair pov, the parts are very well priced compared with contemporary M5 and E55 cars. Fuel cons slightly more but not much. Huge ooph requires large dollop of go-juice 😬

Peter

Allow temptation a little space in your life *evil* *smile*

This is a car worth owning just so you have the satisfcation of knowing that you experienced such a car as part of your long and varied Petrol Head career. Remember the saying "When you are old and decrepit, you will reget the things you did NOT do more than the things you did!"

Allowed myself the luxury of driving the XJR to work today 😬 Whooooooooosh! *eek* *smokin* 🥰

Have good day y'all *smile*

Peter

I have a normally aspirated one of these and its been a great barge and utterly reliable car, also such a beautiful car.

Given the sound, the mega performance and the lack of real fuel penalty for going XJR I sometimes regret not doing so.

Big *thumbup* from me and best of luck with the sale.

Jon

Hi Nifty

Mostly starts with a "2" *smile*

Long commute, hoofing along at a good "brisk" dual carriageway speeds: 21-23 *thumbup*

In and out of town - 6 miles each way on a cold engine: 18-19

The "best" I ever saw was just after filling up, I zeroed the trip computer and drove from Swindon to Abingdon (via Wantage - traffic lights etc) via the sinuous B4507 at total maximum Blat-attack speeds, managed at 47mph average to get 14.6mpg. I was actually surprised as I expected it to be lower. That was a memorable, fun drive where actually grabbing it by the scruff of the neck and working it paid dividends in finding out how hard the XJR can be pushed 😬 (Trac Off)

Setting off at full throttle from a standstill, the "instantaneous" can be held at around 0.9-1.1 *eek* right up to 100mph. Errr, not able do that very often (because it is not legal on a public road *wink*)

Average over last 12000 miles is 22mpg - as I said before, liveable with for a low annual mileage.

Actually, it's not even near the thirstiest car I've owned. But that's another story....

YHM

Peter

SOLD! *smile* To a German chap who travelled in from Frankfurt. Drove off into the sunset towards Channel Crossing yesterday evening.

I wish him luck! He seemed not to have a grain of technical ability about him and even himself said that finding people in Germany who know how to look after a Jaguar is not easy.

Anyway, it's gone. Has been an absolute blast to own one these most characterful and idiosyncratic British cars. Life just got a little bit more ordinary.

Tis better to have owned an XJR and lost than to never have owned an XJR at all. 😬

Thanks for your comments and interest. Time for a Blat!

Peter