Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham for sale.....Really?

Wile7

It's one thing to cheekily list something as Caterham (and a lot of people do), but it's another to intentionally continue to mislead someone when they ask a direct question as above *mad*

I've reported it to eBay, will see what happens...

Wood body on a new ladder chassis - JC or T&J Locust - for the builder, a lot more work than the simple Airfix kit that is a Caterham or Westfield, so credit to the builder. Not quite so much to the re-seller - I too reported it.

Bri

A reasonable reply from a chap who was possibly mislead when he purchased it? Or is the chap simply tryimng to create a bit of 'wriggle room'? For me, if he is on Ebay then a quick search would show some comparisons with other 'sevensque' cars. Excellent question from a 7 member with reply below.

Q:

Hi, I've entered a bid on your car, but is this a genuine Caterham? The reason I ask is that the hand-brake is in the wrong place and it appears to have a negative camber on the rear wheels. Can you please clarify the vehicles provenance and detail the precise specification. Regards, Pat 19-Apr-11

A:

I have had several emails saying that it is not a caterham. The log book V5 states make Caterham so many of you seem to know so much about Caterhams. I am impressed. I bought it because it looked like a Lotus 7 I drove years ago. and i am to old now for motor bikes. I am sorry i have no idea of what it is made up of,all i wanted to do was drive it I thought it was a cheap summer toy for me. I do not want to sell it but I am 6ft 4 and my feet end up the wrong side of the pedals. I cant bring me legs back because of the steering wheel. I dont want to misslead anyone, as it said Caterham on the log book thats what i call it. I thought that somebody out there like me (must be shorter)would look at it as i did and have a bit of summer fun. It is a shame because it is a nice looking little car ( whatever it is ) Sorry to offend caterham specalists.but thats what it looks like to me and thats what it says on the log book. I wish you all well Regards John 6ft 4" 65 years old

Quoting Wile7: 
A reasonable reply from a chap who was possibly mislead when he purchased it? Or is the chap simply tryimng to create a bit of 'wriggle room'? For me, if he is on Ebay then a quick search would show some comparisons with other 'sevensque' cars. Excellent question from a 7 member with reply below.

Q:

Hi, I've entered a bid on your car, but is this a genuine Caterham? The reason I ask is that the hand-brake is in the wrong place and it appears to have a negative camber on the rear wheels. Can you please clarify the vehicles provenance and detail the precise specification. Regards, Pat 19-Apr-11

A:

I have had several emails saying that it is not a caterham. The log book V5 states make Caterham so many of you seem to know so much about Caterhams. I am impressed. I bought it because it looked like a Lotus 7 I drove years ago. and i am to old now for motor bikes. I am sorry i have no idea of what it is made up of,all i wanted to do was drive it I thought it was a cheap summer toy for me. I do not want to sell it but I am 6ft 4 and my feet end up the wrong side of the pedals. I cant bring me legs back because of the steering wheel. I dont want to misslead anyone, as it said Caterham on the log book thats what i call it. I thought that somebody out there like me (must be shorter)would look at it as i did and have a bit of summer fun. It is a shame because it is a nice looking little car ( whatever it is ) Sorry to offend caterham specalists.but thats what it looks like to me and thats what it says on the log book. I wish you all well Regards John 6ft 4" 65 years old

This guy obviously has not bothered to compare photos of his car against the Caterham web site. If he did he would quickly realise it was NOT a Caterham. So he is either thick or trying to pull a fast one

Edited by - Petrolhead on 19 Apr 2011 14:46:13

Wondering how long the guy has owned the car - top photo shows a date in 2007... bottom shows 2025! At first glance I assumed they were taken at the same time, but unless the trellis next to the garage supports a magic beanstalk, they can't have been.

And there's what looks like a tax disc on the screen in the 2025 photo. but not 2007.