Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front cycle wing - fastner pack

glasgow

It is what you get with a new car - some rubber piping to go around the edge (for SVA) and some nuts and bolts to hold the wing on with along with some rubber grommets to cut into washers. CC bond the wings to the stays but self builders get this kit instead *thumbup*

Thank you Grubbster,

I still having difficulty deciding to bond or bolt my wing ☹️

If I go for bolts, would this kit be enough? does it do one or two wings? any reason why there are two different sizes bolts in the pack?

Ahmed

Wing fixing kit for cycle winged cars - not a cycle wing fixing kit - unless the picture is incorrect. It contains fixings, piping, washers to attach the rear wings too - the shorter screws in the pack.

But 10 quid plus for what you want - the 8 off M5 x 35 socket button head screws in stainless steel - seem a lot. Yellow pages - local nut and bolt suppliers and cash at the trade counter should get you what you want, cheaper.

M5 x 35 socket button head screws - 8 off.

M5 nyloc nuts - 8 off

M5 flat washers - 16 off

All in stainless steel.

Some rubber grommets to go down an M5 screw (5 or 6mm hole in them) - cut in half as washers, place under the washer on the top side, other half on the underside between wing and stay, screw through hole in stay, washer, nut, tighten screw into nut enough to lightly trap, not crush the washer, and the wing shouldn't crack. Apply sealant around holes in stay before shoving screws in, and in open ends of stay - slows down them rusting from water entering.

Job done - enjoy at least the next 10 years (limit of my testing so far) without fear or worry of the wings coming off 😬

If I had any, or at least, knew where the ones I think I have, were, I'd send you some, but still in chaos from a house move 18 mths ago - I need my new garage quick!

Bri

• Area Representative

Ahmed

The kit appears to include all you need to attach all 4 wings on a car with cycle wings, including the piping between the rear wings and body, but NOT the SVA trim. What are you trying to achieve? If it's just to attach the front wings, this kit contains many bits that you don't need. Best to follow Bricols advice and source the bits locally.

The previous comments are correct, there are fixings for all 4 wings.

My reason for posting is I've used the pack, and it worked well.

The front wings are drilled, foam strip placed in the stays and then the dome head bolts clamp it all together with half a gromit under the bolt head and a nyloc nut under the stay.

If the bolt is just tightened enough to slightly compress the foam and gromit, the wings is secured well, but there should be some movement to avoid crazing of the gel coat.

Hope this is of interest.

Duncan

CC bond the wings to the stays but self builders get this kit instead

That's interesting, I'm surprised the car can get through IVA without the wings bolted. I used plastic bolts on the rear wings and Caterham charged me for replacing them with metal ones to get it through the test.

Duncan

I put copper slip on the threads, and then undersealed all over the stays and bolts to try and stop that.

I hope you never have to touch them, but 5 minutes with a dremel should do it *smile*

Duncan