Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Loss of oomph

Trotsky

Just recently I have been suffering a marked loss of oomph when wanting the full rush of acceleration . HPC on 45's. Normal acceleration is fine but when wanting to accelerate past traffic it never seems to come in song, you can feel it trying and occasionaly it accelerates

as it should and sounds fine, othertimes ( most in fact) it feels like it's restricted . Have put new plugs and checked / cleaned the Carb fuel filters which were fine. Before the problem carbs I would say were a little out of balance in that it was a little hesitant when flooring it from low revs but otherwise was ok, it seems to have suddenly become an issue rather than a gradual detereation in performance , the fact that it is sometimes ok has me baffled. Could it be the coil pack causing problems or suddenly out of balance carbs? .I think it is getting worse as the last tIme out it never came on song or even felt like it would.

Edited by - Trotsky on 14 Apr 2011 10:45:13

• Area Representative

"Loss of oomph"

A friend tells me there are little blue pills that can help. 😬

It could be a fuel pump problem, not providing enough fuel when needed, but if you've tried the usual things, a rolling road session is probably the best bet.

Unlikely to be carb balance, unless they're totally out, as once you've got your trotter down the difference is negligible and its only at small throttle openings that the difference is noticeable. Could be HT leads or coil, can you borrow a good set to try out? Although unlikely to be an intermittent problem, give the air filters a good clean as they could be strangling the induction. Check float levels, clean jets, make sure the enrichment device (choke) isn't 'on', check mishab washers between carbs and manifold for airleaks. Hesitation when flooring it is more likely to be one or both acceleration pumps than carb balance. Sounds like the carbs might need a good strip and service. Not hard to do yourself.

Thanks all for your thoughts. And the winner is.......EFA. You are the man. The rear carb venturi has lost it's fixing screw, has has the choke *confused* have checked all the others and they are all lock wired. Need to get the correct replacements but the Bodge will do for now.