Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Axel shaft float on Ital Live axel

GeeWiz1

I just put my live axel (Ital) Caterham up on jack stands and noticed that the left rear axel shaft is floating in and out 3/16” , the right side is tight with no noticeable movement. In the spring I fitted a LSD and I’m now thinking that I must have upset something.

Does anybody have any idea what might have gone wrong and what I should do to fix this?

☹️

Thanks

☹️ Ok I have the half shaft out and I can see the bearing and it’s the bearing that is floating back and forth.

The race on the shaft just slides back and forth 1/8”, I don’t think its supposed to do that. Does any one know what might have happened here?

Thanks

Graeme

*confused*

This is a common problem with the live axle. Some axles survive for years, others have problems earlier.

There are various "fixes" to stop the half shafts moving, the two most common are, spot weld the bearing or put shims in. Both have their followers, I used the spot weld option, when one of mine went. Speak to Steve Perks of SPC Components, he is the guy who produces the live axles for Caterham. You can also do a search on Blatchat as this has been discussed previously.

The solution, is to replace the bearings, as they are pushed on, you will need a press, the trick is to know exactly where the bearing sits. Steve did mine for around £100