Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Calling R400 owners- bunny hop survey

Nick W

I spoke to Caterham about this yesterday.

I'm running on a race map in my 3 months old SLR with roller barrels/R400, which is fantastic providing I keep it at 1500rpm until warm at start up and then try and keep it over 3.5/4k rpm. The only problem comes in towns and traffic queues when constantly changing low speeds (28-33-27-30 etc) when I have to feather the clutch or suffer shocks up the drive train.

I want to try the R400 map, and Caterham were happy to install it but suggested I wait until they sorted out the 2600/3000+ hesitation, and having read No Limits e mail, they are right.

OAP

If you're running an SLR map then it sounds that this drive train shunt has been a feature of these cars before their new incarnation as R400s.

The hesitation issue (if you mean the flat spot) can be cured via the map I have had installed. However, I'm trying to get rid of the shunt that makes getting back on the power a bit of a nightmare.

I think the sensitive roller barrels amplify it, but certainly there seems to be some ECU issues anyway.

Nick

Shin,

Caterham said they had done a lot of work in getting the R400 mapping to where it is (able to cope with the SVA/MOT, smoother power delivery, tick over problems cured) but needed more work to cure the hesitation around 26/31rpm. Whilst no actual date was given, the tone of the conversation suggested it was very soon as they feel they are almost there. I will be away soon until late October, and I was certainly left with the impression that all would be fixed by then, but this may have been more hope than promise.

Nick,

The standard SLR runs a non programable ECU, but fitting roller barrels requires an ECU that can be mapped to suit it. The R400 map is definately new and my map (having roller barrels) is not standard SLR

Adam,

"Is the unlock code just required to access/modify the "Caterham" map, and could a new map be created from scratch without an unlock code?"

Although Andy Murphy and Peter Carmichael state that an unlocked ECU is required, I'd like to know if this is from experience or received wisdom.

From my reading of the Easimap help (assuming it's correct), if you have forgotten your 'PIN' (unlock code) you can completely reset the ECU and download a new 'chipfile'. Surely this would put you in exactly the same position as someone who has bought a blank ECU - would there be any further obstacle to getting a Caterham running from this situation?

I posted this in the other thread on 'Cracking the MBE', but no-one has replied yet. It would be nice to have it settled one way or the other.

--

Jonathan Wolff