Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2001 Caterham Blackbird (Available for 2 Days Only)

Krismuss

Prompted by a comment from Andy Belcher as it's sat in his garage ready to be worked on ('would I be interested in selling it as is - pre-repair?')

So, I have two days to see if anyone's interested in my treasured Blackbird as it stands (needing gearbox repair) else come Tuesday the engine's coming out and going to visit Mistral, so then I'll be keeping it for a while longer!

A very brief summary:

2001 Caterham Blackbird (Injection engine)

One of the 6 (?) orginal Blackbird Motorsport cars.

Lambo Metallic Orange

13k miles

Just MOT'd (there's the irony! It hasn't been driven since other than down' to Andy' B's)

Full SLR cage

6" fronts, 7" rears (Toyo 888s on new Minilites)

Techcraft Exhaust

Reverie carbon air box & intake

Full build & service history

Electric reverse (A la Milk Float)

Cheap Tesco dash clock (has never failed)

Stonking performance and noise 😬

As you can probably tell this is a pretty half-hearted ad as I really don't want to sell her though I'm being put under a lot of emotional (& financial) pressure to do so. Even a short 'stilted' burble down to Andy's yesterday was enough to remind me why I love this car so much ☹️ That said, my chidlers have never been in it, it's not the most practical of Caterhams for that 'just popping out' scenario.

Price: £14k as is

(as a guide, the engine repairs with Andy doing the in/out bit and Mistral doing the overhaul should come in at £1k max - other options include replace engine [i'm not keen on this] at around £1.5k fitted or Nova gear set [won't say how much this is])

Not sure how you see signatures anymore as there's plenty of pics in mine (if you can see it!), else I'll try a pic insert...

Blackbird

Chris ☹️

Edited by - krismuss on 10 Apr 2011 08:55:37

Hi Martin, I did mention to Peter (prangerman) at the F1 simulator night (last weekend) that I'd sat in a nice SV down at CCS and found it rather comfy, to which he suggested 'why don't I go all the way and just buy an MX5 😳'

Not sure what to do if it did go though as it's not like I can get anything near comparable performance wise without spending another £6k I guess (which I haven't got).

I am tempted to go all sensible though and consider a screen perhaps for the next one 😬

Still, I'm sure that in a month or so's time I'll still be in BBird (unless they're offering particularly good PX at CCS?)

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

Chris,

Glad you got sorted out. Yes, I expect after coming from the Blackbird having a hot tunnel 😳 is a bit strange! Its also possible that Martin left the heater control pulled out after our last early morning blat - he was complaining that the heater wasn't very good and it was pretty dammed cold on the Peaks, until I pulled the heater control open....

Hope you enjoy the car *cool*

Cheers

Nick

I need to get some serious brownie points first.

Apparently, not telling SWMBO in advance isn't what she meant by 'liking surprises' oops! 😬

It does have an aero too if needed!

And, all three chidlers have now been for a ride *smile*