Click here if you are having website access problems ×

OTFORD @ 17.45

CHRIS TODD

No, only Saturday - start line duties on Psot 25 and blue flgging, which was a nightmare! There's no view of the 'run-up' to the straight so they suddenly pop into view and you have 1 second to decide ...

Update ... just seen what happened at post 2/3 on Sunday:

Were you nearby?

Edited by - TimNeill on 18 Apr 2011 10:15:20

I was at the bottom of Paddock Bend and saw the accident from start to finish.

I have always avoided parking my car at the top of the competitor paddock as feared one day this would happen. Fortunately only minor injuries to one driver.

As you can see from Steve Jones pics it was a biggie!

http://www.isopix.be/persfotos_photos-de-presse/toyota-mr2-crash-750-motor-club-meeting-at-brands-hatch-kent-britain-17-apr-778263-st.aspx

They have to either fill that gap with a gate at catch fence height or construct the emergency access differently.

Although the public accept that 'motor racing is dangerous' when they attend, I can imagine a charge of negligence if it could be shown to have been 'more dangerous than it needed to have been'. This incident fills me with horror at the thought of how many injuries or deaths could have resulted on a BTCC or other big event.

You are right they in the meantime must get rid of the pebbles in the wire mess that at the end "ramp up". It was this that forced the car up to its final height. If it had been flat the whole way it might have kept the car within the confines of the circuit.

However it all starts with driving standards, sadly fuelled by BTCC crash and bash tactics every couple of weeks.