Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aston unrecorded loss - crikey!

Wile7

If you damage a car but don't claim against the insurance (or know you can't because of how/where it happened) doesn't that effectively become an unrecorded loss? Nothing to prevent that, no?

I would be a bit worried if I owned a same year/colour/spec car though!But thankfully that's not one of my life's worries. 😬

Never fails to amaze me the stupid money dealers ask for "salvage", crazy that some of these cars can find buyers *confused* - dunno why people dont just look for a genuine undamaged but maybe high mile example and get the car a bit cheaper that way. At least they would know it hadnt been bent beyond recognition and be likely to collapse should it ever be involved in another bump.... Madness!

Surely then, a quick email to Aston Martin would get the details on their system and could prevent this.

It happens all the time in the construction equipment world, the manufacturers carry details of iffy chassis numbers and in some instances separate parts which can then be traced.

urely then, a quick email to Aston Martin would get the details on their system and could prevent this

A call from who? The owner of the car? What would be the incentive to do that if it reduces the value of the salvage from £20K to £2K?

Edited by - Roger Ford on 12 Apr 2011 11:18:34

I think in Arnies case this was perfectly ok to do. The chassis was a wreck and it would be used to simply get Arch to make a brand new one with the same chassis number. The owner would then have a nice new chassis which quite rightly does not show up on the register as written off.

Jason

Perhaps it was not covered for what it was being used for at the time it was crashed. Therefore, no point going through the claims process, as it would go on your record and you'd get nothing out of it.

At the other end of the scale, if I ever had the misfortune to crash the 2CV, I would not ever claim or report it to the insurers, because they would immediately write it off - it would cost too much to repair it compared to its value. It holds more sentimental value to me than my left arm, so I would just go to the garage and get it fixed up 😶‍🌫️

An unrecorded loss is not immediately iffy.

The reason it hasn't been recorded is (according to the person who says on the PH thread that he is/was the car's owner) that it wasn't covered by his insurance as he had lent the car to a ca hire company but they then sub-lent it to another car hire company who then hired it out to a 24 year old even though all agreements stipulated that it was only to be driven by over 25s.... hence all insurance taken out by the hire companies was null and void and his insurance wouldn't contenance a claim either so he's supposedly circa £100k out of pocket *eek* he is only 30 and has a large buy-to-let portfolio according to him although some other comments he's made sound at odds to this.

The car was allegedly being 'raced' against another through Canary Wharf/Blackwall area of London, they collided and it ended up going through a lampost and hitting a wall - it 'may' have been doing 3 figure speeds in a 40 limit 😳