Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Trailer lock?

finmac

We've always used this on our caravan. Very robust. nullI suppose you could also fit a wheel clamp or leave it on stands with the wheels removed if you wanted to be belt & braces.

Is it likely to be stolen on the Isle of Lewis, I thought you were fairly crime free?

• Support Team
The wheel bar they do is excellent - fits to 2 special studs on the wheel. I've also got a shackle type hitch lock but if I was buying again would get the proper locking hitch.

Quoting Martin Jeffrey: 
We've always used this on our caravan. Very robust. nullI suppose you could also fit a wheel clamp or leave it on stands with the wheels removed if you wanted to be belt & braces.

Is it likely to be stolen on the Isle of Lewis, I thought you were fairly crime free?

Na Lewis is fine, have a huge garage anyway. Its for mainland trips to Knockhill etc, dont want to lose Trailer and Caterham in one go!!

Finmac

I'd consider getting a hitch lock and a wheels lock. The hitch lock wants to be something that locks it on or off the tow ball so they can't rob it from the motorway services. If your trailer has a normal Al-Ko hitch on then the Al-Ko safety device is hard to beat but you will need to fit the mounting lugs that come in the kit and that takes about ten mins. Also any decent wheel clamp that also covers the wheel nuts is worth fitting even it you have a hitchlock to stop people manually pulling the trailer to a quiet part of the car park to tear your hitch lock off.

Jason

Bull Dog are the probably the best you can get at the moment. However most wheel clamps will deter the opportunist thief, if some one is determined and armed with an hydraulic ram ( like most pikey's are 🙆🏻) they will have it away.

Edited by - Jerry on 5 Apr 2011 07:16:37

I MIGHT have a bulldog wheel clamp for sale after the week-end.

I have just bought a second hand one but it is bigger than I thought it was and not sure if it is going to fit under the boat trailer mud guard it was bought for.

I'll be able to confirm at the week-end. Drop me a blatmail if of interest.

Stuart