Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R400 Wiring Loom Connections & Stack

Nigel Pugh

Guys,

Just one of the other things that has now occured to me.

My new R400 has the MBE ECU and correct ( I hope!!) loom for it.

However nowhere in the build manual does it refer to how to wire it up.

Most things like the ECU plug and etc I can work out for my self.

What I dont know is where to connect the two black map sensors I have been provided with.

Also there are all sorts of long cables with two spade connectors on them, but no indication of which goes where.

In adition I have a electronic speed sensor fitted to the gearbox, but no cables for it, and a separate Stack wheel sensor for speed pick up, but no info on where to mount it, same as my old stack tacho, on the front wheel I guess, but it would be nice to have the instructions from Caterham eh?

ISTR that Julians SLR build info said dont need to use the gearbox mounted one as supplied, but whey do they include it then 🤔

Finally behind the dash are a host of real nice plugs from the Stack to plus the appropriate sensors in, you know temp, pressure, etc.

But guess what, no plugs or cables for the sensors supplied match, in fact not one matches the nice small round plugs from the Stack.

It looks awfully like Caterham leave you on your own here to make up cables as needed and cut off plugs and bodge as needed.

Please tell me this is not the case and I am missing some more bits.

I am getting increasingly P***ed off with this car, and loosing enthusiasm all round for even bothering to complete it at all.

Any one want to buy a nice but part finished R400?

Other wise its going back to Caterham for a full refund, against the sale of goods act - "not fit for purpose"

Nige,

Very fed up again *mad*

Nig Pug

X400 SLR - R400 in bits!!

Nigel,

Having just fitted your old Stack to my 7 I had a good look at various R500 at Brooklands the other week. The speed sensors seem to be on the offisde front wheel somehow mounted in the brake calliper.It was difficult to see as they are obviously big brakes, but that is definately where the sensor cable was running to.

Hope this helps.

I reckon you'll have sorted it by now Nigel but this is what I know:

1) The speed sensor does indeed mount on the bracket across the brake caliper mounting bolts. They were VERY tight on my car.

2) There are 2 sets of female spade pairs. One is as Simon says, for the dry sump oil temp sensor, and the other pair is for the water temp sensor, next to the original Rover one in the top steel pipe running round the head. It is possible to get 'em wrong - ie oil/water transposed (what, me? - naaah)

3) There are things like "NET", "LAP", "AIRTEMP" and "PRESSURE" dangly Stack cables that you won't use as well as a couple of pairs of spades under the dash from the Stack. These aint needed as standard. Stack are VERY helpful and if you need to, give them a bell.

4) You shouldn't have to bodge anything - it should all fit, but do watch out for the odd "Charcoal canister" or "screenwash" plug that you don't need!

5) Can't help with the ECU as mine had the Steam-Powered MEMS system. 😬

Good Luck - chill out and the car will be just fabulous !