Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Lights

Tony Wright

God - its the MOT gremlin I tell you - exactly what happened to me savethatitwas one side repeater - bodged an earth as a temp fix so it passed

My guess is the switch also- is ve easy for it to work free and stop working

Good luck - !

• 10 months later...
My turn now - brake lights not working. Bulbs OK; reversing light (on same fuse) is OK; rear connectors all seem intact, so I am following this thread by looking at the switch. I've got the pedal box cover off and can confirm the tag on the brake pedal is in contact. Have had the connectors off the switch and cleaned them. Still no lights. I admit to being a bit intimidated by investigating the switch further - unless someone is kind enough to give me some guidance. TIA.

Push the button in and out on the switch and see if you get anything. A replacement is just a few £ anyway and it is almost certainly that. The problem is inside the switch, you can take it apart to look at it but watch for springs jumping. I have a spare in my boot as they aren't reliable.

Yes: disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work. It isn't essential but it's always safer for you and the equipment.

Of course experts often don't.

Do check that you understand your immobiliser/ alarms etc and how you will reset them after reconnecting the battery.

Jonathan

Pushed the button in and out a bit and lights came on twice, but then nothing - so it certainly looks like the switch. Will get a replacement. Thanks, Jonathan - I changed the battery when the car was new (to me) and remember having to press the immobiliser button four or five times to get it to re-set.

You can fix it easily. Prise the end cover off the switch, taking care not to let the spring escape. Tip the contents out, noting which way round they go. Squeeze the legs together on the brass goalpost and wipe any grease or dust off them. They should now actually touch the contact at the far end of the switch.

*arrowup* *thumbup* SM25T - Thanks again for the advice. New switch fitted today and all is well. And the old switch? I thought you might be amused to know that while my back was turned, a friend had prised it apart. They was a hissed "Damn!" and I said, "You've let the spring escape, haven't you?". He had. Can't find it, but at least I know now how mucky it gets inside.