Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

CR 500 13" Mags - Wheel Nut Size?

Nigel Pugh

Guys,

This might sound silly but when fitting the above we had real problems getting them to fit to the wheels.

I understand that the powder coat on these may be thicker in places due to manafacturing, perhaps explaing why some were so tight they almost had to be forced on.

What I dont understand is that we seem to have 4 *confused* different bolt head sizes.

Currently we have a mixture between what seems like 17MM, 18MM and 19MM with a most of them being happiest with a 3/4 AF.

Any ideas 🤔

Thanks.

Nige.

Nig Pug

X400 SLR - R400 in bits!!

Nigel

mine are all 19mm (3/4") but I have the same problem getting the sleeve part through the Mag casting, some feeling as though the nuts are cross threading, did find that some nuts seem to fit beter than others suggesting the sleeve diameter is not as accurate as it might be

Advice I was given was to lubricate the holes but it makes a bit of a mess and in reality didn't help

Mark

The R500 wheels are a complete swine to fit. Thye require a 19mm thin walled socket to fit in the small gaps in the wheels and even then the nuts are difficult to get to find a thread.

After a few times they do go but I've had all sorts of grief fitting mine. I even had to resort to bashing the last one with a soft hammer last time to get it close enough to the stud to get a purchase.

Richard Ince has has either his wheels or the nuts machined to make life easier. I'm going to fit longer studs and get new wheel nuts.

Not a lot of help but at least you're not alone.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the response, and I thought as much.

Still does not explain the size issue though, relating to the actual nut head size I mean.

Some are so small that the 3/4 and 19MM just spin, and three are so large that only a 21MM socket will fit.

Now that what I call good engineering tolerances *wink*

Any one know who actuall makes them for Caterham 🤔

Also if people have had problems like this and are suggesting replacements have Caterham offered to do this or are we all faced with digging in our own pockets again 🤔 *mad*

Thanks again.

Nig Pug

Pete,

Thanks for the reply.

Hope your car is still going well.

Might see you at a track day some time, if Caterham ever get around to sending the parts I am still missing, and even convince me this car is worth having.

Sorry to be negative, but I am fed up with the POS I have in the garage in bits and its not even built yet.

Could be a job for a new insurance policy, gallon of petrol and box of matches me thinks.

Thanks anyway,

Nige

Fed up again in the garage missing more parts (again!!!!)

Nig Pug

Nigel,

I am sorry to hear of all your problems with the build of your R400. It seems you are getting the pain of a new model. I know it is no concelation, but for the benifit of others readng this, I built my SL over a two week period with no real problems. I have 13" mag wheels and again no issues with wheel nuts or need for any special sockets. What have Caterham said, it is really bad luck to be so fed up with the car. I am sure it will be worth it in the end, I would give my eye teeth for a R400. Good luck with getting your problems sorted.

changing the subject slightly - I have the R500 mags on my superlight and am about to get a set of 6" * 13" KN Minators with ACB10s, will the R500 wheel nuts be suitable for these new wheels or will I have to get some more? (if so what type and from where?)

BTW by wheel nuts are a pain in the butt to fit and I don't have the powder coat wheels, they're just spray the same colour as the car.

thanks,

Mike.

Mike - they might fit but wouldn't be ideal owing to the sleeved design of the R500 nuts.

You should be able to get std. nuts from the place you get your wheels, or Halfords etc will have them.

Or if you wanted to be really flash, I have some gold anodised lightweight ones that would fit that I'd sell you (can't use them with R500 mags). I'm pretty sure I have 20 of them and would flog the lot for 50 quid (they cost a good chunk ore than this).

couldn't agree more

14 of mine are 19mm but 2 needed 20mm but then no clearance to fit the socket! on one of these the sleeve was also 1mm oversize with many ridges, looked like the machining hadn't been done

not too impressed for £1.50 each

peter

do you have a contact for mike barnby?

thanks

jerry

ah, I've actually ordered them from BookATrack as they have given me a good deal on a wheel and tyre (ACB10s) package. However they have confirmed that I won't get new wheel nuts - they suggested going to the local ford dealers, which won't be aproblem but then I probably won't get a chromed set.