Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Starter Motor Fitting?

Nigel Pugh

Hi Guys,

Another question re my R400 build.

We assembled the engine and gearbox on tuesday night ( despite most of the bolts being missing again!! *mad* still waiting for shipment from Caterham).

We still cant work out how to get the top bolt tightened up though.

The build manual tells you to fix it with an 80MM long threaded bar, but we dont have this.

The starter motor came in a box attached to the engine with one flat head bolt in the middle hole, and two longer allen headed bolts for the top and bottom.

Are these correct, if so how do we tighten the top bolt?

Any advice and pics greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Nigel

Nig Pug

X400 SLR - R400 in bits!!

Guys,

This must be a really tough question, as loads of people have veiwed my question but not a single person has responded.

Sorry to be a pain, but I am now feeling all alone as the only sad act trying to build a R400 on my own.

BTW, I have asked the same question of Caterham, and still have no response, beacuse the technical person who knows about this is off sick?

Sounds like hiding to me *wink*

Dont know why I am smiling though when 30K of car still is not complete, and the supplier really does not seem to care?!

Quote from Andy Noble " I cant talk to you about complaints or refunds, as I am only (!?) the sales director and have no authority on this"

" you need to speak to Simon Nearn the MD about this, but he needs it in writing"

If I write to him expalining all my problems and compalints I am likely to kill another rain forest in paper.

Is it just me or does no one care about customer satisfactiona and care anymore.

Deeply disapointed of the midlands *mad*

Nig Pug.

Nig Pug

X400 SLR - R400 in bits!!

Nigel

Our starter motor (Magneton) came with a bit of screwed rod complete with two lock nuts. It did not resemble the version in the manual .The solenoid is on the bottom. The two 8mm allen bolts went in the middle and bottom fixings. The screwed rod was run in complete using the lock nuts and with Loctite.I had to take the second nut off to get it fully in. There was an ally spacer plate (20mm) between the starter and bellhousing. It all went together quite neatly, but I did wonder at the time why the threaded rod d and not a bolt of the same length *confused* Perhaps they now supply a bolt?

I can remember this being a pain.

Cant remember exactly what we did but I think the problem is the bolt neares the block. We used a hex head bolt and a flexable rachet extension bar to get access to it.

There is a pic on my website somewhere.

Simon.

See X777CAT here

here

Above is you should find a pic with the red arrow on it. 1/2 way down the page.

I think in the end we uses a normal bolt but we had to use one from our own tool box and cut it down so it was not too long, also make sure the thread is the correct one, I think its metric for this. Could be wrong though.

Simon.

See X777CAT here