Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Elise - Replacing rear upper wishbone bushes

Rich N

Hi folks.. Many moons ago I got roped in to helping maintain an Elise which belongs to a skint friend. Despite the original radiator replacement task long since being finished, I find I'm still helping with more daft tasks.

Bush replacement.. rear, driver side, upper wishbone.. He can't remove the bolt because there isn't enough clearance before it hits the pair of pipes from the oil filter housing.

Whats the trick to getting this bolt out.. someone said to "remove the engine mount and it will just swing out of the way" - which I know it won't, as nothing just swings anywhere on an Elise..

Have changed all the wishbone bushes on SWMBO S1, you should be able to undo the bolts without them fouling on anything. The oil filter housing is nowhere near the upper wishbone mounts? Any pics/

Edited by - prs on 1 Apr 2011 16:42:08

Edited by - prs on 1 Apr 2011 18:12:55

Thats a different setup to the S1, looking at that photo if it were me I would undo the one oil pipe with a container ready for the oil leakage and then plug the openings, then continue with the job *thumbup* good luck

Thanks to everyone for their words of advice... when I got back to the guys house for this week's installment, I went with the "remove oil pipe and plug the hole with my finger" approach.. all done and dusted. 2 hours later.

On another note, those poly "PowerFlex" bushes for the S2 are a shockingly bad fit.. way too big by about 2mm. I'm told they're aware, and considering working on the design. Real bitch of a job.