Click here if you are having website access problems ×

how do i start sprinting?

Stef

Apologies if this is somewhere really obvious but can someone direct me to info on all I need to know to have a go in some club speed events next year?

I'm a complete novice so need to know everything from can I realistically do it without a trailer to do I need a license.

My car is a 2007 ex academy so I'm assuming that would be pretty much good to go.

Thanks

• Support Team

There is a fair bit of information on the club website in Competitors Korner

This document and this one give a bit of information.

The mains things you will need are:

Non-race National B licence from the MSA (apply here) which doesn't need a medical or anything - just fill in the form and pay your money.

Crash helmet to the required standards - see here.

Fire resistant race suit (see link above)

Fire resistant gloves (see link above)

Timing strut - buy from Caterham or make your own (see here section 10.9)

FIA approved rollover bar with petty strut fitted (this is a club requirement) or full cage

Some yellow tape on the battery earth lead.

If I've missed anything I'm sure someone else will come along shortly wiht a correction 😬

Ex Academy car unmodified and with list 1A tyres will be in our class 1 but if you are on list 1Bs then it's class 3.

You will need to register for the championship if you wnat to do any events other than the 2 Curboroughs that the club organise - form is here.

I think that is it - welcome to the club *cool*

Edited by - Shaun_E on 1 Apr 2011 08:38:33

Stef

Yes, you can realistically do it without a trailer. I'm surprised Shaun didn't mention that in his comprehensive list above. A number of us, Shaun included, have done several full seasons without trailers *smile*

Welcome to sprinting!

Thanks for the advice, very comprehensive.

Is there any disadvantage to me having a go at one of the curborough events this year to get a feel for it and then doing more of a season (prob still only 5 or 6) events next year? i.e. would I lose the ability to compete in the slowest class or something?

And do I still need a license for the lotus 7 club curborough events?

• Support Team

As Tam says - a bit remiss of me not to comment on the trailer thing. I did 4 seasons without a trailer before going soft and there are plenty who still do.

If you do one or two events this year then you will not be classed as a novice next year and will not be eligible for the novice trophy. Otherwise there is no impact - class is dependant on the car not the driver. Your best 5 events count for the novice trophy and best 7 for class honours and the overall championship.

Yes you still need a licence to do the Curborough events.

Stef

Why not come along to Curborough to spectate and also introduce yourself, you will find the paddock will make you welcome. The club run an Intro to Sprinting Day ever other year and the next will be in 2012. This will take you through everything you need to know prior to an event and also what happens on the day.

Firstly, the Club’s Curborough events are a great place to start – they are fun, relatively safe and Seven orientated. I recommend them as a great place to start.

I started my sprinting ‘career’ at Curborough a few years ago and was instantly bitten by the bug. As Shaun said there is one minor drawback though – if you enter just Curborough in 2011 then you will be excluded from ‘Novices Championship’ in 2012. I think the wording of the regulations is that you can only enter the Novices Championship in the first year that you hold an MSA licence.

The Club does organise a Mentor or ‘Buddy’ scheme for new entrants – this is where an experienced sprinter helps you through your first event : it covers things like car preparation, signing on, scrutineering, walking the course, practice, first timed run, etc. Basically, for your first event its nice to know there is a friendly face that you can talk to and can help you if you have a problem. This doesn’t replace the fantastic help and support you get from all of the paddock but its just a little bit extra to take any worry out of the day.

You also need to invest in a copy of the ‘Sprinters Excuses’ book – available from any of the senior figures in Class 4. Make sure you get the latest 2011 copy as there are two new excuses for this year –

1) I have a new six speed gearbox and I can’t find third gear;

2) I am 3kg heavier than last year.

Go for it – it’s great fun,

Graham *wavey*

Hi Paul, yes I'm booked on the August day. Really looking forward to it.

Mark, was thinking that earlier. Ill try and come along to spectate to at least one of the dates.

Thanks

Steff