Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help me ! - gear selection... engine grenade prevention!!

skydragon

Please help me, not grenade my engine *confused* *confused*

I've recently fitted a 6 speed gearbox (replacing a 5 speed) and am still getting used to it.

No problems at all when using it on the road, even for spirited driving, but I found yesterday whilst at a practice day at Curborough that I could go quite easily from 2nd to 1st...when I actually wanted to change up from 2nd to 3rd 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 😔 😔 to add insult to injury I did this three times!!

Fortunately each time I managed to not let the clutch fully out and stop the rpm at a max of 8500 according to the ECU rpm telltale *rolleyes* *redface* I did a number of fast runs afterwards and the car sounded and ran fine, I've also since done a compression test and it looks like I've got away with it...this time. Next time I suspect I may not.

Question - has anyone any tips/advice on smooth and accurate gear shifting 2nd to 3rd whilst racing??

When I take my time, I change ok every time. It's when I am trying to rush the gear change that the problems start...

It's not like the gearbox is resisting me putting it into 3rd, or baulking, it's just I'm seleting the wrong gear in the gate. Trouble is I don't really understand what I've done wrong, when I mess the selection up.

Perhaps it's just a case of slowing the gear change down (?). I found that if I blipped the throttle whilst depressing the clutch and then changing up, the gear change was smoother. I don't know whether that is because blipping the throttle forced me to slow the change down. See this video here at approx 0:20 where I change from 2nd to 3rd and blip the throttle to see what I mean

...I also managed to select 5th once as well (when I had meant to select 3rd) 🙆🏻

Help!?!?

The gate on the 6 speed is fairly narrow and when I first had my car, I frequently went from 4th back to 3rd instead of across into 5th. I don't do it any more, I guess because I am more familiar with the car but I am always a bit nervous when other people drive the car.

• Support Team
Chris, you can get a stronger spring which will help but you just need to not rush the change. 2nd to 5th is the other common mistake! We've just had the stronger spring fitted so I can give you some feedback once we get the car back not the road.

Reviewing the videos (it doesn't make for pleasant viewing 😔 ) all the fluffed gear changes happen in exactly the same two places - both are on the exit of right handers as I'm changing up from 2nd to 3rd (or trying to).

I wonder if my head/arm/body is moving slightly over to the left when I'm cornering right and I'm not mentally compensating for this, hence thinking 3rd is more to the left than it really is ??

Chris, you can get a stronger spring which will help but you just need to not rush the change. 2nd to 5th is the other common mistake! We've just had the stronger spring fitted so I can give you some feedback once we get the car back not the road.

Thanks Shaun. That sounds a sensible mod..although I'm hoping it will be some considerable time before I need to remove the gearbox, having just fitted it *smile*

you just need to not rush the change.
I think this is probably the key...less haste, more speed etc

Funny you should say that Mark - was just thinking Chris should use the "asktheteam" email address how to complete this change successfully *eek*

As it happens it was one of the main reasons i went sequential all those years ago as on the right hander and the short stretch across the top of Llandow Out of Devils Elbow i would generally always throw at least one timed run away during a sprint because of this. 😔

Oh At least you managed to get far enough to do the change from 2nd to 3rd Chris 😬

Could check that the spherical bearing is not siezing up. There is a thread on this I wrote a couple of years ago.

Once you've ascertained that all is fine, it may also be worth varying the way you hold the gear knob. It may help the lever to flow through the gate more easily. Worth experimenting with cupping the hand around it at different angles.

Cheers

Peter

You just need a bit more time to get used to the new 6 speed box and use it with confidence. I had the same problem when I bought the CSR and lost a bit of confidence when changing gear but practise makes perfect 😶‍🌫️

The last poster came close, you need to palm the change instead of forcing what you think is the correct selection, there is probably too much tension in your wrist ... relax a bit *wink* Changing from 2nd to 3rd, just palming it out of 2nd the gear lever will automatically slide (spring), into the central neutral position and you just have to push forward to get 3rd. Just think away from you to get 1st and 2nd, neutral for 3rd and 4th and towards you for 5th and 6th ... unless you have a left hand drive model 😬

I've "grown up" with the 6 speed box and never had this problem - guess whats going to happen on my next trackday!!

I have trouble getting from 5th to 4th sometimes - it catches on the edge of the gate and I get stuck in neutral...usually in the midde of a BIG stop for a hairpin - makes me go *eek*