Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Projector headlights and driving on the right

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative

My BiL and nephew will, again, be going to watch Le Tour. This will be the third time and it is a great event, very different from anything else I have attended.

My BiL swapped his old (10+years old) Saab 93 estate for a new model when the Saab dealers had fabulous offers because GM were planning to close Saab down.

This new model has projector type headlights. The Saab dealer in Cambridge gave the car a service immediately before we went last year and (knowing we were off to the continent) would the beam down considerably, saying that you couldn't use beam divertors.

Is there a better solution - we had very limited forward view as a consequence of this situation.

If it is true that left-hand/right-hand temporary alignment is significantly worse/more difficult with the new style of headlamps, is it one step forward and one step back?

Edited by - Golf Juliet Tango on 29 Mar 2011 14:13:36

Yes. Members of my family have had the problem with an Eos and an S-type. On both of those it's officially a dealer job!

On the Eos we did it but it was very awkward. On the Jag we ended up shining the lights on the garage door and applying sticky tape on the outside.

Does anyone have any insight into why these aren't designed to be easy to switch?

Jonathan

Have you read the handbook? A lot of xenon-equipped cars have a shutter that can be switched to convert the beam pattern. They basically cut off the of the _ beam pattern.

On my Range Rover Sport, it was a 5 minute job - unclip the grille, unclip the light units, remove the rubber seal at the rear of the light unit and flick the lever. Got a few funny looks at the Ferry Port, but I can live with that.

What year is the S-Type? Looking at the owner information, these are the instructions for an 08MY car:

A lever (1), within each HID lamp unit, is used for dipped beam adjustment for touring. This lever flattens the dipped beam to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.

Open the bonnet and remove the top cover (refer to page 174) and the small round rubber cover (2) adjacent to the main headlamp rear cover.

Move the left headlamp lever (1) up and the right headlamp lever down to flatten

the beams for driving on the left side of the road.

Refit the round cover and top cover. Remember to place the levers back in their original position when you have returned to your country of origin.

And having said all that, I changed beam direction in the integrale (with projector headlamps) on my first trip to the mainland in 1999 . . . and I'm afraid I've not bothered since with it, or other tin-tops, or indeed the seven, on numerous other trips with no problem . . . which has probably put the kybosh on my next trip . ..

Bri

I have this issue with my current car (Mercedes) and its a dealer visit... which they did for free!

Previously I was back and forwards a lot and once they had "redirected" the LH Light I just left it there to avoid endless back and forth to the dealer.

• Area Representative

Well, I did wonder if it was worth it...

I shall see if there is a lever/specific floggle-toggle for this (or suggest to the BiL that we check the manual) but as the dealer/service agent did it last time, one would hope that they knew the "proper" way to make the correction.

• Area Representative

I pinged Saab GB yesterday with the following:

"A friend is trying to find out how to move the headlight beams on a projector headlamped Saab 93 Estate (2010) so that he doesn't dazzle drivers when he goes to France in a few days time. He can't find advice in the manual. Please help ASAP"

They've just written back with the following, which probably doesn't help you much

"Good Morning Mr Hudson

Thank you for contacting Saab Great Britain.

I can advise that if the vehicle has bi-xenon headlights the beam can only be lowered by the switches in the cabin area.

If the vehicle has standard lights ( *confused*), may I suggest the vehicle is taken to the nearest Saab Authorised Dealership, as they will be able to adjust the headlights for European travel.

In order to find your nearest Saab Dealership, please go to the webpage www.saab.co.uk click on the Find a Dealer icon, enter your postcode and click 'submit'.

I have made a note of your email and your case number is SAAB-003950.

Regards

Emma Brock

Customer Assistance Centre

Telephone: 0845 300 9593"

Edited by - gileshudson on 30 Mar 2011 10:42:37