Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall 2.0 16v Exhaust Manifold

Gary-Cornwall

Can anyone give me some info on the exhaust mods required when dropping the 16valver in to replace my 8v?

Do I need a complete new system or just the manifold?

Does the bodywork need cutting up?

I also want to make sure it's not too noisy as my nearest track is Castle Coombe and they impose a strict 100db limit on trackdays.

Can anyone recommend a source and give me an idea of costs.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Think you will find the primaries are too small on the 8V and won't fit the 16V head. bodywork will need slight modification but hole will not be far away.

Sorry to say that you won't get on Castle Combe with 16V Vx, mine shows 112dba if checked correctly.

Great engine that will run forever! and can give 190bhp for the price of £160 re-profile cams.

Are you running 45mm carbs? bigger engine benefits with these but will fun with smaller units.

Rob M.

40th Anniversary Vauxhall Man

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

Cam Job:

Waited until car needed new cam-belt @ 5years. I then phoned around QED, Piper, Kent and Swindon etc to see who could offer the best promise of additional power with their std fast road cams. Only Piper would commit to a 10bhp increase, however, all said that the engine would run fine.

Having decided to try the cam swop I had the following reservations

1) With the fact that once re-profiled it would be impossible to go back to std and that if the result was lumpy I would be stuffed.

2) Having owned the car from new I didn't want to fit older cams to my engine (cams normally done on exchange basis) incase of problems with bearing journals etc.

The solution for me was that I had picked up a 2nd hand Vx 2.0 engine for £75 which had sat in the garage. My share of this engine was swopped for a pair of brand new std cams. To ensure that having gone through the trouble of selecting new cams, I wasn't just sent the next set off the shelf in return I (secretly) etched my regestration number onto them. These were then sent off to Piper for a claimed 7 day turn around. Piper phoned me to confirm reciept and returned the correct cams within 5 days at a cost of £160.

Fitment took approx 1.5hrs from start to finish including the cam-belt. The engine fired up and ticked over without a problem. Two days later I took it to the local rolling road to see what it produced. Despite our first thoughts of it making less than std, it now turns out that it's making 160bhp at the wheels which around around 190bhp. The main jets were reduced from 180's down to 170's, however, the rolling road still shows that we are not getting enough air through the 45's. I have just found a pair of 48's to try but again I'm worried about any loss of mid-range in leiu of pure top end. The car runs totaly std mapping and comp exhaust and shows peak power between 6,000 & 6,500, however she flies around to 7,500 without the feeling of much loss. Before once you had passed 6,000 you could feel the power dying!

I now run it on Shell Optimax as the rolling road are 100% in favour of the stuff! To be honnest I think that I can feel a difference with this fuel in both the Caterham and my Motorbike.

In summary Piper were very god and down to earth, the car drives sounds and ticks over like standard. Only difference is the kick in midrange @3,500 and the extra 1,000 rpm pull at the top end. I know 15bhp sounds nice but when you start with 175 it is only 8% increase or about half a passenger difference to the power to weight ratio.

If I can help anymore please call me (01952) 242786

Rob M.

40th Anniversary Vauxhall Man

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

John, (Tinman) I've got a 1.8 k-series in my Rover 45.....need I say more!

Phil, many thanks, but I'll wait 'till I find an engine locally before I commit to the extras. I may post in the wanted section.

Has anyone tried to cut the exhaust flanges off existing manifold and made new flanges to match the 16v exhaust ports?.....just a thought.