Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald

heavenly7

I gather the new Emerald EMU is user adjustable, but comes setup with a standard map for the Rover 1600. I would appreciate any comments as to how easy the system is to fit, the increase in bhp to be expected and whether or not to fit cam followers. How straight forward is the fitting of these.

the main advantage is not in the power gain that an emerald will give to a standard engine - you'll only see a few even once its perfectly mapped.

once you start changing the engine spec with cams etc you'll need to remap the ECU. You could try this at home but you really want an expert to set it up on a rolling road. you can then realise the full potentia of your engine upgrades. Alternatively, on a 1.6 K supersport the map is fine at full power and high revs but not great elsewhere as its a bit of a bodge. fitting the emerald and mapping it properly will give you a lot more lower down, better throttle response etc etc.

HOOPY R706KGU See you at Cadwell *thumbup* *smile*

The ECU comes with a number of maps fopr vasrious configurations and there is one for a standard K1600 , at the moment the ECU is noit compatible with the EU3 engine loom.

To fit the Emerald,

Unplug the Mems

Plug in the Emerald

Fix the Emerald to the top of the Mems

Connect a laptop

Download the appropriate map

Align the throttle pot (2 minute job)

Set the automatic idle control

Start the engine.

Optionally you may wnat to play with the fuelling/advance at idle, the Lambda readout tells you if you are rich or weak. Read the appropriate section in the manual to get an idea of how to tweak the settings such as rev limit, idel control etc.

I'm not sure what you mean WRT cam followers....

Oily

"The ECU comes with a number of maps fopr vasrious configurations and there is one for a standard K1600 , at the moment the ECU is noit compatible with the EU3 engine loom."

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. Forgive my ignorance but I do not understand the point made. My 7 is less than a couple of years old and not the supersport version. Am I likely therefore to have the EU3 engine loom and is this a problem. I had thought properly mapped the Emerald unit would permit the engine to produce around 160 bhp. I guess I am incorrect but would be interested to know more specifically what advantaged in every day use to expect.

a standard K 1600 will need something like the following to make 160 bhp:

mappable ecu

different cams

throttle bodies

decent exhaust - in caterham terms this means four pipes out the side of the car not one. this is vital

and probably a bit of head work.

mine is the above spec (no head work... yet) and is less than 160.

oilyhands has some very useful websites in this respect..

look here for prices

and here for explanations

simply fitting cams, Emerald and exhaust should still give you another 35 bhp or so and would be very much worth it.

you'd need to ask oliyhands, roger king or another more expert than i.

my guess would be that with no porting, ECU, exhuast, supersport type cams you'll get about 150 bhp. perhaps a bit more with wilder cams but the head will be suffocating them and it will be nasty low down.

I think that a ported hydraulic follower head has given 183 on a 1.8 block in an SV (which has more room for a more optimal exhaust). but several areas were really stretched by this.

Sorry to hijack this thread but can anybody pleeeeeese tell me how to get hold of Emerald.

I have phoned and left messages on numerous occasions asking them to call back, I have e.mailed more times than I care to remember but alas I have been unable to speak to a human being yet.

I am desperate to buy one of their excellent ECUs to carry out this coming winters upgrade but no luck so far ☹️

Brent